Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SEL DOHC. I need to replace the auto headlamp relay, but I can't find where it is located. Any clues?

Thanks, Todd :angry:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
There are two relays in the central junction box. There's the Autolamp Park relay and Autolamp headlamp relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Under the hood. Do you have an owners manual?
[/b]
Yes, but according to the manual, the fuse box under the hood (by the radiator) does not contain this relay?

Is it labeled by another name or function?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Probably in the central junction box by the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I'm having the same problem, they just died on me a few days ago. The headlamps don't come on anymore with the autolamps, but if I turn them on manually, they're fine. Just the parking lights come on with the autolamps. From checking the old threads, it appears that the 2000 and 2001 (which I have) don't seem to have relays that can be replaced. Each thread about a 2000 or 2001 just seems to die without any kind of answer. 1999 and earlier seem to be set up differently and I think even 2002 might have the relay.

Can anyone else confirm or help? Because the parking lights come one, it appears the headlamp switch is fine and I did check the manual and didn't see any relay listed in the underhood junction box. This sounds like GEM problem that other people have mentioned but no one seems to have solved. I think I'm just going to have to switch them manually from now on, it was nice when it worked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (HenrySel @ Mar 3 2009, 02:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704878
I'm having the same problem, they just died on me a few days ago. The headlamps don't come on anymore with the autolamps, but if I turn them on manually, they're fine. Just the parking lights come on with the autolamps. From checking the old threads, it appears that the 2000 and 2001 (which I have) don't seem to have relays that can be replaced. Each thread about a 2000 or 2001 just seems to die without any kind of answer. 1999 and earlier seem to be set up differently and I think even 2002 might have the relay.

Can anyone else confirm or help? Because the parking lights come one, it appears the headlamp switch is fine and I did check the manual and didn't see any relay listed in the underhood junction box. This sounds like GEM problem that other people have mentioned but no one seems to have solved. I think I'm just going to have to switch them manually from now on, it was nice when it worked.[/b]
In your case u might wanna check fuse #29. Its the same fuse as the one labeled in the 2003 model only the 03 model has more stuff connected to it. Im not sure if its the same thing for the 2000 model, but ide definitely check that fuse first too. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The 2000-2001s with autolamps should have replaceable relays. They are in the central junction box.

After looking over the service DVD it does say the relays are in a printed circuit board. So they are not easily replaceable. The CJB is located under the dash. Looks to me to be the fuse panel?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Mar 3 2009, 10:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704931
The 2000-2001s with autolamps should have replaceable relays. They are in the central junction box.

After looking over the service DVD it does say the relays are in a printed circuit board. So they are not easily replaceable. The CJB is located under the dash. Looks to me to be the fuse panel?[/b]
Ok I went ahead and signed up for alldatadiy.com. Took a while, but the latest I have is that there's a pinpoint test I where the headlamps don't work but the parking lights do. In section I4, it mentions checking the auto headlamp relay for a short to power, but in the picture it just has some type of connector. It says the measure the voltage between GEM C201d pin 25 (CJB side) and ground. If the voltage was present, repair or install a new CJB. Clear the DTCs. Repeat self test. I also pulled up the diagram of the CJB and it looks like the fuse box but there's no autolamp relay listed on it.

It looks like C201d is a connector in the center of the fuse box under the dash. Sounds like I'd have to replace the GEM in order to get it fixed. Junk yards seem to have them for between $60-$130. Then they do need to be programed because keyless entry and anti-theft seem to be part of the GEM.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep poking around. If anyone else has any thoughts, it'd be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
On pre-2000 cars the GEM is separate. I'm not sure about after that but fusebox/CJB/GEM may be all one thing now.

If you want to jury rig it I am sure you can cut the harness for the headlight relay and splice in a regular relay.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
do the auto lamps impact hids at all?

i know you have to remove DRL's with hids but to auto lamps matter?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I'm going to head over to a yard in the second half of March and see if I can get a GEM out of a 2000-1 model. I don't think anyone is selling one on here? :dunno:

Even though HenrySEL and I both have SELs, they use the same GEM as any car that has remote keyless entry (the keyfobs). Ford made two GEMs: one with remote keyless entry (it'll have a tear off 5 digit code for your keypad) and one without remote keyless. I'm guessing that the remote keyless entry one has the built in relays for the autolamps. My autolamps stay on all the time, even in bright sunny weather.

I also have Paul's test I can try once I make the right wire.

Paul, on my car the CJB/GEM/Fusebox appear to be all one module at least in my car unless I'm mistaken :dunno:

Once I pull the GEM apart, I'll see how (im)possible it is to replace the relays. Hopefully there is a Taurus SES or something at the yard with the right GEM.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The GEM is on the back of the fuse box and is removable. I have a 2000 GEM and it is the same format as the '96-99 but has different connectors on the bottom. Don't know about anything later than 2001. there was some talk about the GEM needing programming on the later years.

The GEM I have has a Ford part number of YF1T-14B205-CE, NAAO HIGH, keycode 70247. There is also a white sticker that gives the part number as YF1T-14B433-CD on the top of the GEM.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 3 2009, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705042
I'm going to head over to a yard in the second half of March and see if I can get a GEM out of a 2000-1 model. I don't think anyone is selling one on here? :dunno:

Even though HenrySEL and I both have SELs, they use the same GEM as any car that has remote keyless entry (the keyfobs). Ford made two GEMs: one with remote keyless entry (it'll have a tear off 5 digit code for your keypad) and one without remote keyless. I'm guessing that the remote keyless entry one has the built in relays for the autolamps. My autolamps stay on all the time, even in bright sunny weather.

I also have Paul's test I can try once I make the right wire.

Paul, on my car the CJB/GEM/Fusebox appear to be all one module at least in my car unless I'm mistaken :dunno:

Once I pull the GEM apart, I'll see how (im)possible it is to replace the relays. Hopefully there is a Taurus SES or something at the yard with the right GEM.[/b]
I think for your problem, it can also be the switch or the photocell sensor. There are a bunch of pinpoint tests for it. PM me and I'll send you the diagrams.

I thought you might have to program the GEM if you replace it, but you may not have to. Here's the list of items that the GEM controls:

The GEM controls a variety of systems:

* instrument cluster warning indication and chimes
* interior courtesy lamp control
* automatic headlamp control
* Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
* wiper and washer (front only)
* heated rear window
* one-touch down power window
* delayed accessory
* power door locks (including SMART, autolocking and luggage compartment lid release)
* remote key less entry
* perimeter anti-theft

The one item that would probably need updating is the remote key less entry. I think you can just reprogram your FOB after replacing the old one.

Here's the removal procedures:

REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. CAUTION:
o Prior to removal of the module, it is necessary to upload module configuration information to the appropriate scan tool. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed.
o Electronic modules are sensitive to static electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage may result.
2. Loosen the 3 bolts and disconnect the bulkhead connectors from the instrument panel fuse junction panel.
3. Position the instrument panel fuse junction panel aside.
1 Remove the 2 nuts.
2 Remove clips.
4. Remove the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) .
1 Disconnect the electrical connectors.
2 Remove the screw.
3 Unclip and remove the GEM.

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure. CAUTION: Once the new module is installed, it is necessary to download the module configuration information from the scan tool equipment into the new module.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read in a post somewhere that there are fuses INSIDE the GEM. My dome lights, power mirror, and window don't work. However, the wipers, keyless entry, and IP warning lights and chimes DO work. How do I go about replacing these fuses??

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
First you would have to get the GEM out. Then take it apart. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (outlok @ Mar 15 2009, 07:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708711
I read in a post somewhere that there are fuses INSIDE the GEM. My dome lights, power mirror, and window don't work. However, the wipers, keyless entry, and IP warning lights and chimes DO work. How do I go about replacing these fuses??[/b]
Power mirror and window might be a separate issue and dome light could be part of the GEM. I think what it controls is the delay when they go off after a while or when you first unlock the doors. I don't think it should affect it if you turn them on manually. In the above, it doesn't say anything about controlling the power mirrors so maybe you should just look for a regular fuse either under the hood or under the dash. Same as the windows, I believe GEM only controls the express down feature on the driver's side.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Ok strangely enough my auto lamps started working again. For a couple of weeks, I was just turning them on manually. I would explain to people how bummed out I was that I had to turn them on manually, but I guess they couldn't relate because they didn't have autolamps. Anyway, one day I just switched them back to the autolamp setting as at least the parking lights went on when I was in a tunnel which was better than nothing and I could at least see the dash. So later that night when I started up the car, I noticed that the headlights were back on again. Makes me wonder if it's the GEM or if maybe the headlamp switch was a little rusty. I normally never used the switch much, it was pretty much on autolamp all the time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts