Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I have a antifreeze leak because my coolant reservoir has to be refilled every couple of weeks. I have checked my radiator, all hoses, coolant reservoir for leaks but found none. I thought it must be coming from my water pump so I had it replaced about three months ago but I still have a leak somewhere. I had my car on ramps the other day because I had to change my oil and I saw the drips of antifreeze from the leak. The drips were coming from the bottom of my catalytic converter. I tried to find where the leak was starting but could not determine that by looking up into my engine from being on the ground and on my back. What is above my catalytic converter that would point to where the leak is coming from?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does this year Taurus use the coolant reservoir that 'free flows' from the radiator?
The 96-up Taurus are notorious for the reservoir jug cracking and leaking, because of thermal expansion.

If it has coolant on the CAT it sounds more likely to be coming from heater plumbing. Had to get there from setting with the engine cooled down. Otherwise it would be cooked off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Antifreeze must have dripped on the CAT after running down from the firewall to the floor/belly pan when you drove it up the ramps. It's probably puddling somewhere on the firewall. Find the heater hoses and follow them to where they enter the cowl.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The heater hoses will some times leak at the ends into the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On my 2002 Taurus, when my water pump started to go I had a very small leak onto the exhaust manifold that eventually turned into a larger and larger leak. But it would only leak when the engine was running. Not when parked. Does yours always leak or only when running the engine?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts