Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me how/where to add transmission fluid to the AXOD on a 1992 mercury sable? You don't add it through the transmission dipstick right? I'm gonna try some lucas transmission fix and this stuff is extremely thick so using the dipstick tube wouldn't be fun

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yes, fluid is added through the dipstick tube.

What shape is the fluid in and when was it last changed? If it's been a while, I'd flush it before trying the transmission fix stuff. :)

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
It's pretty easy to add to the dipstick tube. Just put a small funnel on there.

BTW, don't do what I did and leave it in the car when it gets cold. Then it'll be REAL thick. It also leaked out the bottle a bit so now the bottle is all sticky.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I agree with ford ses, don't put this stuff in your tranny fluid.

What tranny problem do you have, that makes you think this miracle in a bottle would fix it????

As has been asked, what condition is the fluid in, how does it look, smell & feel????
What sort of pattern do you get, if you put a drop on a white napkin???

Has your tranny fluid & filter been changed on a timely basis????

The reason I ask, is that on my 94 3,8L AXOD, I've had some mild down shift & move out hesitation from a full stop problems in "D", that have been all but fixed, after I installed a new tranny filter & did a Full tranny fluid pump out.

The rough 2-1 down shift is gone after about two weeks & the slight hesitation on moving out drom a full stop, is now intermittent & gettig more so, as things clean up from the fresh fluid doing it tidy up work.

So if your having some kind of shifting problem, maybe consider a new tranny filter & a full fluid pump out.
You can eaily do this yourself, for about $60!!!!

Yes the tranny fluid goes in through the tranny dip stick fill tube.
There are special tranny funnels with a screen in them, to prevent bad things from getting into the tranny & the funnels neck is made to properly fit the fill tube's inner dia,

Just some thoughts for pondering.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah last time I did a filter and fluid change I added some of that Lucas transmission fix to the transmission. I didn' have any transmission problems, just wanted to see if it would smooth out the shifts. I didn't really notice any big change. I don't mean to change the subject, but does walmart sell transmission fluid in 5 quart bottles like they do with motor oil and if so how much are they?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts