Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to be gettin a pair of subwoofers in the next month or so and i am wondering if they would sound better in a wave box v. a coventional sub box. If so where can i get one, (I was thinking online) also what if anything makes a wave box supeior. Also how much do they cost? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I did a search but i did not find anything usefull.... i have really been disapointed with the search engine this site has.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I've never seen a retail wave box; every one I've seen has been custom made.

They also take up incredible amounts of volume, usually upwards of 3 or 4cf. I'm not, however, much of a bass guy, there are other people here that could go into more detail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what exactly is the wave box? what is the technology behind it? Is it something that i can have made or do only certain shops make them or what. Please someone who knows reply.

·
Registered
746 Posts
the technology behind it is called compression line loading. been around almost as long as speakers themselves have, nothing new or incredible. and yes they do take up a lot of space when they are done correctly. if you find one pre-fab it will be just like anyother pre-fab box... not built well, inferior design, not application specific, and the physics behind it will be pretty rough. also to consider with a compression loaded enclosure is that they are pretty woofer specific. and to be done correctly they SHOULD be designed around the woofers being used.

i would suggest going with a custom made vented enclosure. you will get good SPL out of it and if it is designed correctly it will sound very good. another option is a sealed enclosure, you will sacrifice a little bit of output but you will gain SQ from it.

there really isnt any need to move to a radical box design for a daily driver car. you can get the output and SQ level you desire from a well designed sealed or vented enclosure. if you want something extraordinary look at the box designs being used by die hard SPL competitors, those guys get very creative to gain db's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts