Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

My apologies. Can someone point me towards where the maintenance/mechanical FAQs are? I can't find them.

I have a 4th gen., 2004 SES, Duratec (3.0L DOHC V6) w/ 58K on it. Never had any major probs with it. Great car. Anyway, it's starting to hesitate during acceleration.

I hope it's a dirty fuel filter but I think it's probably a spark plug/arcing problem.

Could someone tell me when Ford calls for the plugs and boots to be changed? And where is there a detailed explanation about dealing with that manifold cover and geting it back on the right way after the plug/boot replacement?

It looks like it might not be too hard to do but there always seems to be a trick or a good tip out there to make things like this easier.

I'll buy the plugs, boots and manifold upper gasket, and what the hell, a fuel filter too. IF I decide to ask a mechanic to do it, what is a fair price for the labor on this job?

Thanks,

Mickey

·
Registered
105 Posts
Off topic, but i lol'd when I read the title, because with the title underlined in the topic list, it looked like Where are the ****? I was like whaa-?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
QUOTE (devinpitcher @ May 29 2010, 09:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807765
Off topic, but i lol'd when I read the title, because with the title underlined in the topic list, it looked like Where are the ****? I was like whaa-?[/b]
same here... :lol2:

:gay:

mwt checks in regularly

·
Registered
507 Posts
04 and higher Duratec's do NOT have plug wires. They all have coil on plug electric's. Make sure you let the motor cool before attempting removal of the plugs. Use a torque wrench to tighten the new plugs and make sure they have some anti-seize on the plug threads before replacing them. Use a short piece of rubber hose to start the new plugs without cross-threading them.

You do not have to completely remove the upper intake manifold to replace the rear plugs. Just remove the bolts and hold the UIM out of the way with a bungy cord (there is a hole on the under side of the hood to attach the cord to). Make sure you use dielectric liberally in the plug cap when re-installing. As for what plug to use, that is the big question on this site, as everyone likes the last set of plugs they put in their motor. I have used Bosch platinum plus fours in my Vulcan and the iridium plus fours in the Duratec with excellent results over many thousands of miles. Very smooth at idle and at a hundred miles per hour and everywhere in between. Just remember that the Duratec has aluminum heads and care must be used when removing and installing new plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoops. Lots of people were probably saying, "Here's a new guy who came here looking for faqs. Pretty bold."

Anyway, I was going to get some Autolite double platinum plugs for the job. Any reason I shouldn't? I think they used to be OEM for Ford before Motorcraft.

·
Registered
809 Posts
:blink:

Lmao I read the title and had to do a doubletake. Then I was like, I dont want to read this thread, then I realized my misread!! :rolleyes2:

I too am going to do a tuneup and I was told the app104 Autolite double plats are one of the best choices performance, longevity, and pricing. :dunno:

To the OP, Where are the frequently asked questions? LOL :lol2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts