Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys.

I have a 2006 Ford taurus. Last owner only gave me one keyless entry with a chip key. I wonder is I could buy a backup set of them. I checked the Keyless ride. They have the remote and chip key. But I still have 2 questions, which I am not quite sure.

1 Could I program the remote by myself? It said there will be an instruction for that.
2 The chip key need to be cut and programmed also, which they will charge for 40 bucks. So, could I find a walmart or some other place to cut that? And could I program it myself, too?

Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
1: Yes. Cycle the ignition switch from off to on 8 times quickly, the locks will cycle, hit a button on the remote.
2: No, you have to have 2 keys to program another yourself. Have one programmed, but buy 2, so you can program the 3rd yourself. If you ever lose one, you can still avoid the dealer.'

My recomendation as a source for keys: ebay user: Transponderisland

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you。But I don't quite understand.

I have a remote and a chip key now

The 2nd question, what do you mean I need to have 2 programmed chip key to program a new third one? How that will be programmed?

Thanks

QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ May 25 2010, 03:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806832
1: Yes. Cycle the ignition switch from off to on 8 times quickly, the locks will cycle, hit a button on the remote.
2: No, you have to have 2 keys to program another yourself. Have one programmed, but buy 2, so you can program the 3rd yourself. If you ever lose one, you can still avoid the dealer.'

My recomendation as a source for keys: ebay user: Transponderisland[/b]

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Do you have one or two keys? How many keys do you own that go into the ignition and start the car. You have to have 2 keys already to program a 3rd spare key. If you only have 1 working key it isn't a do it yourself task.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
They O/P (original Poster) stated the the P/O (Previous Owner) only handed Him/Her one (chipped)Key and one Wireless Fob(remote)

@Tiger. If the P/O Can not or will not provide you a 2nd KEY; then unfotunatly you will have to source the LABOR from a dealer to program a 2nd key. If you provided the blank it will cost you alot less than if they provided you with a 2nd key. Go to ebay
Here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-2001-2...#ht_3183wt_1165
Or Here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-2002-2...6#ht_576wt_1165

Take the key to Walmart or HomeDepot or Lowes or what ever hardware store with and AUTOMATED duplicator. I have had MUCH better results with them.
Take both keys with you to the stealership and ask them to program your keys. Say one lost programming or what ever sap story. They only charged me $45 + tax

All the local locksmiths that claimed to be capable wanted $75 even if I provided both keys.

The wireless fob. that is easier. Buy a FOB from ebay for Taurus/Sable 1998 or Newer. OR any Ford product. 2000~1 or newer. That you can do your self.

Hope this helps you.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
QUOTE (tiger @ May 25 2010, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806830
I have a 2006 Ford taurus. Last owner only gave me one keyless entry with a chip key. I wonder is I could buy a backup set of them. I checked the Keyless ride. They have the remote and chip key. But I still have 2 questions, which I am not quite sure.

2 The chip key need to be cut and programmed also, which they will charge for 40 bucks. So, could I find a walmart or some other place to cut that? And could I program it myself, too?[/b]
You can't program it yourself, and I'd imagine that the dealer will charge $40 whether they cut the key or you bring one in already cut. If it's $40 for the key, cutting, and programming, just let the dealer do it all. I'd never pay that much for a key and then trust it to a hardware store.

·
Registered
833 Posts
A second remote you can program yourself, it's in the owner's manual. A second KEY you CANNOT program, has to be done at the dealer, yes for a rediculous price. The key is only worth about 13 dollars and it takes 10 minutes to program it, but you'll pay alot more than that and there's no getting around that. Once you have two programmed keys, then a third and fourth can be programmed by you just by turning the one programmed key from off to on, then the second, then the unprogrammed key(s).

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (Stocker @ May 26 2010, 01:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806959
QUOTE (tiger @ May 25 2010, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806830

2 The chip key need to be cut and programmed also, which they will charge for 40 bucks. So, could I find a walmart or some other place to cut that? And could I program it myself, too?[/b]
You can't program it yourself, and I'd imagine that the dealer will charge $40 whether they cut the key or you bring one in already cut. If it's $40 for the key, cutting, and programming, just let the dealer do it all. I'd never pay that much for a key and then trust it to a hardware store.
[/b][/quote]

Usually the dealer charges $40 to program the key and if you don't have one, will charge another $40 for the key and cutting it. That's why it's cheaper to pick one up on ebay for $10-$15 and pay $1 or so to get it cut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts