Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 DOHC Taurus has 62000 miles but I don't know if the serpentine belt had been yet replaced by the previous owner. How should I decide if it needs to be replaced? Right now, I see no cracks or scratches on it. In some places, there are barely visible perpendicular stripes, but I am not sure if those are scratches or just a feature of the belt. There is no noise coming or any known issues right now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They say to replace it around every 100k miles. So you should be good. I just replaces the belt on mine. It had 124k miles on it and a new belt was definately needed.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Age as well as mileage contribute to belt life. Yours sounds fine for now, but remember it is pushing 12 years old, even if it only has 62K miles on it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It sounds good from your description. Is there a reason that you were looking into it, such as squealing noises or comment from PO?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The belt is a relatively cheap item, about $40. Your car is now going on 12 and the belt is coming to the end of its life. If you can afford it I would change the belt, stuff the old one in the trunk as a spare and gain a little piece of mind. Or if you're handy and carry tools leave the old one on and carry a spare. Unfortunately they always break when I'm wearing a tuxedo.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It sounds good from your description. Is there a reason that you were looking into it, such as squealing noises or comment from PO?

Folks at a local MIDAS were doing some work on my car's suspension and gave a long check list of what could be wrong with it. I think now that they may check some things automatically. For example, I asked them why there is a check mark for steering fluid given that it was flushed when steering gear was replaced a year ago. They told me that this check mark was only an advisory check due to car's age. There is also a check for bad brake fluid, rust somewhere on the exhaust system.. and the serpentine belt. All in all, it's not a bad advisory given car's age.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The belt is a relatively cheap item, about $40. Your car is now going on 12 and the belt is coming to the end of its life. If you can afford it I would change the belt, stuff the old one in the trunk as a spare and gain a little piece of mind. Or if you're handy and carry tools leave the old one on and carry a spare. Unfortunately they always break when I'm wearing a tuxedo.
Perhaps you're right, though.. I have also seen aftermarket parts last even less time than the original parts.. The original Ford battery worked for seven years in warm climate and it still worked when I replaced it with Autozone's top of the line battery. The Autozone battery died 3 years after being bought. The OEM EGR valve sensor worked for seven years, but its replacement worked for 2 years.. Brakes.. I think I still have all the OEM parts, with the exception of the pads perhaps...

So, generally, I am trying not to fix what's not broke yet...

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Stay away from places like Midas and other chain stores. They will tell you EVERYTHING is wrong with your car and that it will cost thousands of dollars to fix. If you arent going to do the work yourself, find an independent "mom and pop" shop with a good reputation that will truthfully tell you what needs fixing and what doesnt, and will do quality work for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well I'm sure the English police are after me for piece instead of peace, oh well.
Anyway what Jeff said is right, stay away from Midas, if you don't do the work yourself than it's best to develop a relationship with a small repair shop that will keep tabs on your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts