Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing work on the Bull I went and had the battery tested. It tested "good" but I noticed the battery was a little over 5 years old. It's a Everstart from Wal-Mart. its a 58R and that is what the manual says. Some parts stores list the 36R as well. The question is will the 36R fit and does brand matter?

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
Yes, 36r will fit. Iirc, it has higher cca(s) than the 58r making it a better buy if priced equally such as walmart. Most people say a batt. is a gamble after 4yrs., but ive had many last longer than that. Iirc, wallyworld has the 58r listed for the vulcan and the 36r for the tec???

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, 36r will fit. Iirc, it has higher cca(s) than the 58r making it a better buy if priced equally such as walmart. Most people say a batt. is a gamble after 4yrs., but ive had many last longer than that. Iirc, wallyworld has the 58r listed for the vulcan and the 36r for the tec???
Yes it does. The Ford manual says 58r for the Vulcan and 36r for the tec.
When I go to Advance Auto and put in my info the 36r is what comes back no other options. I almost want to put a MC in but they are pricey.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The 36R is hardly any more expensive than the 58R. Best time to replace battery is as soon as you notice slower than usual starter motor speed---that's when the battery is aging and might let you down next winter. ($$$). A lousey battery can strain the alternator ($$$) . I have been lucky with batteries (Motorcraft) towards 9 years of service but I think they should be replaced much earlier than that with the best battery you can afford.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If your stereo forgets its radio station presets after cranking the engine, then you should go change the battery right now. (my car started doing it with the 6 year old Motorcraft battery). If the car fails to start after leaving the cabin light on overnight, that's a bad sign too. If the engine cranks slower than usual I'd replace it too. If you own any of Autozone's batteries and it's even one day older than 3 years old, it should be replaced too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read the sticky on batteries, pretty interesting read on who makes what.
Interstate Battery is made by Johnson Controls did not know that.
Motorcraft is too as far as I can tell.
Walmarts are by Exide. They were out of the 36r and 58r so the next batch should be fresh. Both are basically the same price.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Replace a battery when it no longer holds a charge. :p If it's passing load tests, it's still good. Some last 8 years, some last 3.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I regularly get at least 6 years or more from Diehard Gold Cold Weather series.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.