Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when outside temperature drops below 40 deg f cranks 6 seconds to start
2000 duratec engine 24v 41k miles
It is not the fuel pump.I turn key to on 5 times & let fuel pump build up pressure. after 5 times I finally crank the engine.no help. no spark plugs & syn engine oil,no help.Always has spark at spark plugs when hard to start.This does not mean timing is correct since spark advance changes during starting.But why would temp make a differance if it was timing?I have cleaned IAC and throttle butterfly.car has 41k miles we purchased new.ob11 no faults when I check it. Mercury dealer charged $120 for claimed live date stream when cold and hard starting.Was a mercury dealer 3 weeks for this tests since the confirmed hard to start when cold.I feel it must have something to do with sensor for outside temp or coalant temp. I replaced coalant temp sensor dealer sold me,no help.Maybe there are olter temp sensors. Anyway Has anyone else had this problem and found the cure.thanks.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Cycling the key builds up fuel pressure, but it is not a pressure test. Needs to be checked with an EFI gauge. I doubt it's timing on a Duratec, wouldn't worry about that. If fuel pressure checks out, I would like to see intake air sensor, MAF sensor, and coolant temp sensor data. For $120 damn dollars, the Mercury dealership should be willing to share their data they collected. (I would NOT pay that kind of money for a simple diagnostic scan any more). You can pick up perfectly decent little OBDII readers for around $100 now and read you own data.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about the fuel pressure being low but wouldn't this effect highway driving when fuel flow rwte is higher?

The mercury dealer stated they used more expensive tester than the OB11 $200 tester, but they refused to give me any print out. Also the car was out side in the cold at the dealer and would not start for a week.Why couldn't they find a bad sensor if they had live data stream info.Do you think they lied?

·
Registered
21 Posts
my 2006 3.0 was doing the same thing. I had the ford dealer reflash the computer and it now fires up within 2-3 engine revolutions. Supposedly there is a TSB about this issue, but I've never been able to find it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think anyone with a alldata subscription should be able to find out about recalls, wikipedia may have info on it.
Is your battery 100% charged?
Different dealers do different things.
Yesterday I had a dealer spend 2 1.2 hours and change a fuel filter and they ran over an hour of OBD tests. I have all the printouts
I was charged $118 for the total. Kind of unreal as I was passing through Texas and had NY plates.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This should not be hard to diagnose at a good shop with intelligent mechanics. All cars when cold starting get an extra rich mix of gas/air. In the old days it was a choke. Early fuel injection sometimes used a separate injector that just added a shot of gas when the motor was cold.

I have seen a mechanics training manual for a vehicle that has a comprehensive 'theory of operation' that goes into detail about certain systems, what they do, why, and how it's done. Something about your diagnostic expense doesn't sound right. It may be the way you have written your statement. Re-read it and make any corrections that would help us simple minded comprehend it better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts