Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
97, 95k, never changed.

Actually, it is a recommended maintenance item, but I can't remember the interval. Possibly 30k?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I thought the interval was something like 60K or so. In any event, they probably should be changed every 50 or 60K. The sensors can be out of range and causing fuel mileage to drop and other symptoms without actually being "broken" and throwing a code.

X

·
0 Posts
it is recommended to test at every tune up, but 96+ are 100k tune up, but I recommend and follow tuning up at every 30k. By 100k the spark plugs are more likey very difficult to remove since they have been in the heads for a while.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could old age and low milage cause them to fail faster? ie. cold short trips.

97 taurus with 55K

thats 9.2K a year Hardly driven! All really short trips!

Also how do you test an oxygen sensor? can you back probe and check the voltage or do you need the special ODBII scan tool?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Well the only way to test them would be with a scan tool and you'd have to watch their lean to rich change. I forget the # of changes per given period of time but yeah.. thats how they're tested. I have 128k on my vulcan with the original O2 sensors.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There's another way you can test them out of the car using a propane torch, but I doubt it is accurate or worthwhile.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Capital Punishment@Dec 10 2003, 04:33 PM
123,400K on my 97 vulcan, only one changed at like 105,000 because it threw a code. The rest are original.
Hey I clicked yes to your profile. Very cool site!

I am going shooting tonite

As for my cars high idle, forget about it. This is a good time of the year for a high idle. Getting 18MPG everything is all good.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I you need to watch the Rich-Lean Threshold switching. My OBDII scanner shows this information, mine on both cars are well within limits.

I personally would change mine in a OBDII car when the MIL came on.

Don't forget, these can also be cleaned, it's amazing what a can of air duster, rubbing alochol, DISTILLED water and a wire burush can do.

** DONT TRY THIS AT HOME UNLESS YOU HAVE A BACK UP PAIR **

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
My bull has 151k miles on it and it's gas mileage has dropped alarmingly over the past 2 1/2 years. It used to get 450 miles to the tank... now I'm *lucky* if it makes 300 miles. My RPMS rarely see more then 3k and I avoid city driving. The route I take to work(most of my driving time) has only 5 stops over a 12 mile trip. So I guess my O2 sensors must be really fowled. Oh well another thing to add to the maintainance list.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
130k. i dont know if it has been changed.

with regards to cleaning.? the sensors have to be take out to do that right?

guess that is a pain & unwanted risk.. am pretty sure they will be seized on their threads as they are mounted on the exhaust

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
93, changed them with 90k on the clock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
97 vulcan...engine threw a code (P0430 - Bank 2 Over Threshold)....changed out the instream O2 sensors at 98k and light turned off soon after.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Threw a code at only 15,000

Carmax replaced both rears for free.

- Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts