Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pull the trigger on some next to new tires with rims for my Bull. When I got the car last year, the back tires were (and still are!) near bald, so now that I will have some money in a couple of weeks, I figure it's time to do something about it.

I was originally going to get two new tires that would match the two good ones I've already got on the car (Hankook Optimo - they're a good tire by all accounts), but the price was a little steep. These came up on Ford Taurus rims ('99, they came off), for four tires, for less money. I figured I'd jump on it.

For those of you who need to know, from 1986-1999, the rims will all fit. The only rim size that I wrote down dimensions for are 15's, and here they are:
Center Bore: 63.4
Rim 6x15
Mounting Flange: J
Offset: ET42
Bolt Pattern 5x108

14 inch rims and 16 inch rims are the same as 15 inch rims, except for the diameter and width.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whatever works. I get what is in the pic from local JY. $30 per includes tax. Cash and carry. I think I have purchased 8 or 9 of them. I check date code when selecting.
-chart-
Those are pretty nice. I think I've seen them on a 4th generation Bull.

Here's what I'm getting:

They'll clean up real nice, I think.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sent a message to the seller of those wheels this afternoon. A friend of mine is picking them up on Monday for me, since they're five hours away, and my friend is heading to the city they're in. Maybe next weekend I'll have them on the car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now have them. They're in my shed, waiting for the right tools to do the swap. Floor jack and at least one jack stand, oh, and a hunk of wood to block a wheel.

Yes, if I absolutely have to, I could do the job with the scissor jack in the trunk. I'd rather use a floor jack. The jack stand goes under so that if the jack falls, the car lands on the jack stand instead of the ground.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Floor jacks are cheap and a must for DIY work. I have 3. For safety, I use a 2X4 on top of a tire under the rocker.
-chart-

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Floor jacks are cheap and a must for DIY work. I have 3. For safety, I use a 2X4 on top of a tire under the rocker.
-chart-
I had a look last night online. The ones in my price range ($50.00 or so) only lift up to 13 inches. I'm really not sure if that's high enough, once the suspension extends due to gravity. My gut says that the tire would still be on the ground, with weight on it.

Here's one that I'm looking at: Torin Big Red Hydraulic Trolley Floor Jack, 2 Ton Capacity, Floor Jacks - Amazon Canada It should have enough capacity to lift a Taurus, and I suspect that it will fit under the car. But, how far will the tire drop when the suspension extends? Will 13 inches be enough lift to take the tire off?

Pro-Lift 2 Ton Floor Jack | Home Hardware This is another one that I'm looking at. Again, though, same questions as the first one.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Pic of my cheap jack, board to keep it from sinking in the blacktop and can work on dirt, modified head for Bulls, and 3/4" = 19MM deep socket. Cheater bar for when I buy a used car and have to remove the over tightened lugs. I now broke down and bought a Harbor Freight aluminum one with twist handle and roller for front wheel. The board in the pic is a scrap door from old kitchen cabinets.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And, they're on the car.

Those look mighty good, I'd say. I ended up doing the job with the scissor jack that's in the trunk (yes, smarty, I took it out of the trunk first!). It would have been a LOT easier with a floor jack.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Those look like the 12 slot third gen wheels. Those came on my 99 wagon.

I found some 17” Mille Miglia wheels and have those on now. (Harder to see here. Parked in the shade as I was going through the area of the Bonneville salt Flats).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those look like the 12 slot third gen wheels. Those came on my 99 wagon.
They could very well be. They look the same, except that mine are nice and shiny. I do know these wheels came from a '99. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall that there were similar wheels available for the first and second generations, too.

I found some 17” Mille Miglia wheels and have those on now. (Harder to see here. Parked in the shade as I was going through the area of the Bonneville salt Flats).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like those. They look really good on your wagon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts