Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I'm wheel and tire shopping and I found a couple I like. What do you guys think?

Think they'll look ok on the G4 SES?

Wheels: Falken Torque 5 17" Falken Torque 5

Tires: Falken ZIEX ZE 502 in either 235/45ZR17 or 215/45ZR17. Falken ZIEX ZE 502

Haven't looked at fitment yet but these are the tires I'm considering.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, i got the ZE-512's on my car now and i love them

josh

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Those rims are tight! is the number 40 the offset? Do you know of a weight on these? Or an Approx. cost? I'd like to get some 18's like that.

How do you rotate unidirectional tires? do you have to pull them off the rim everytime or just move them front to back with out crossing them?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unidirectional tread pattern
Designed to rotate in only one direction, unidirectional tires enhance straight-line acceleration by reducing rolling resistance. The also provide shorter stopping distance. Unidirectional tires must be dedicated to a specific side of the vehicle. Care must be taken when rotating unidirectional tires to ensure that the repositioned tire rotates in the correct direction.(Right from Yokohama Tire co.)[/b]

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Hey Doc, I like the set up too. The wheels, still kinda retain the 5 spoke design like the SELs wheels, and they don't look too....well....uh....dare I say it.....Ghetto

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More opinion please:

Silver or Gunmetal? Don't want chrome. The car is Matador Red and I'm trying to figure out what colors to powdercoat or paint the calipers and areas of hubs that will show with the new wheels. I think it would be easy if the car was any other color like black or silver (I like blue, but will not work well in this instance)

I was thinking if I went with the silver wheels, I could use the gunmetal color on the brake/hub pieces.

Maybe a silver vein, red vein, chrome translucent hybrid would work nicely. (medium to dark red, silvery smoke with vein texture)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I didn't see our bolt pattern listed for those wheels, do you have to custom order them?

Another directional tire I'd recommend is the Goodyear Eagle F1. VERY sticky, but kinda pricey.

BTW, in simpler terms......directional tires are rotated front to back.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Are you going to get them custom drilled or use a adaptor, because they dont list 5x108 for that wheel as an available bolt pattern.

Oh, and if you dont want chrome I would go silver, but the gunmetal would probably look ok also.

Also, as long as you dont lower your taurus a +42 offset will probably be ok, but anything less will make it stick out.

And DO NOT go 215/45/17, thats hellaciously smaller diameter than stock. I run 235/45/17 and they are a little shorter than stock, but not enough to hurt the speedo.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I don't like the rims. Mainly I don't like the three piece rim look. The tires aren't bad, but I agree with the others that the 512's are better than the 502's.

Here are some rims I like.

SSR GT 1 (kinda pricey though $340 each!!!) light weight at 20lbs

Moda R6 $200 each, 25lbs

Mille Miglia HT3 $180 each and lightweight at 21lbs

Kazera KZ-R $130 each and only 18lbs (best buy!)

BTW - all of these are five spokes and 17" desgined to fit the Taurus, and available at TireRack.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, I was asleep at the switch when I posted. I didn't look at fitment at all, just a look that I liked. Figures.

It's ok, I've decided to spend the wheel money elsewhere. I've still got to get tires but was really wanting to go to 17's first. The SSR's are pretty decent though.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The wheel depends on the color of the car. If the car is white, get silver. If the car is other color, get gunmetal.

BTW, NICE WHEEEEEEELS!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Doc-Have you checked out Enkei wheels? They make a pretty good line of wheels that are not all chrome but are excellent quality and some are lightwight.
I checked and they do come in your bolt pattern. Email me if you want prices.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally, I prefer a more "closed up" design on our cars. The wide open wheels look cool, until you mount them. They make the brakes look really small, especially the rears if you have four wheel disc.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Feb 11 2004, 06:24 AM
Personally, I prefer a more "closed up" design on our cars. The wide open wheels look cool, until you mount them. They make the brakes look really small, especially the rears if you have four wheel disc.
No problemo. Just park the car carefully and the rear calipers are so small they're completely hidden by a spoke and you can't see them at all

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by D Man@Feb 11 2004, 11:49 AM
That's why you gotta get the big brake upgrade
Exactly my point. How's that going, BTW?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm waiting every day by the door hoping the mailman has my income tax check, which should be about a grand. And I'll use that to take care of you know what
, and also see about meeting Alberto and getting my EEC flashed. And March 1st I'll be getting another check for $1500 and that is what I'll use for the brakes. That way I can get the first thing takin care of and finished, it's been too long. And the brakes will come at the begining of March, and hopefully have them before the March 13th meet, so I can have a reason to my wheels back on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree:

*The rims don't look ghet-to

*I don't really like the look of three piece rims, real or otherwise

*The SSR GT1s *are* nice looking rims, but...

*...I too like less "open" rims.

I'm looking for rims for my SEL, and the perfect replacements would be the five spoke rims that were OEM for the 94-96 Chevy Impala SS. Those were just the right balance for a "muscle" sedan with panache.

Except that those don't fit Tau's. Other than that, they're perfect.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oh, and to add some subjectivity, I prefer gunmetal with white or black only, and chrome (but not to much of it) with all other colors.

Gunmetal would probably look ok on deep muted colors, but not on any brighter, metallic ones.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts