Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The only thing I can tell you is that the 16" alloys on the '99 SHO (and some '99 SE models) are supposed to be the lightest 16" alloys available, by far.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My bathroom scale says that my Gen III (non '99) chromies when in at about 19 lbs. It also says that my winter rims (black steel? 16x6") weigh only 13 lbs. I'd be willing to bet that the 15" rims weigh less than the 16" rims.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I beleave the Gen III SHO was in the upper 18 lb range, but the 99' SHO is down to I think around 16 lbs. Maybe this is why my 03 SEL with the stock SHO rims feels faster than my 00' SEL with the stock rims.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the [email protected] site I belive that the gen 3 sho alloy wheels chimedin at 16.8lbs. The 99 slo/sho wheels are heavier then the others sho wheels because ford cut cost on the sho and one of the ways to do that was to let the 99 sho run with the slo wheels.
It would take some digging up, but the Sheriff over on V8sho.com did a comprehensive review on the SHO rims and the available options.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Jan 18 2004, 09:06 PM
So wait a moment, the gen 3 SHO for the 99 is lighter or heaveir than the other years?
Lighter, definitely. It has been discussed thoroughly on the V8SHO list, and I think on SHOForum too. FWIW, the 1999 SHO wheels were also stock on many 1999 SE Tauruses. There are two examples of '99 SEs with the same wheels as a '99 SHO at my work, and these are definitely bone stock vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts