Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 96 taurus that i would like to try and remove the wheel well cover on the passenger side so i can try and gain access to teh VSS from the side to chisel it out. The VSS is lodged in case of the transaxle and i cannot get access from the top to chisel a screwdriver into.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
hi,

take a look at my photo of the transmission when I removed it for replacement.
this may help you with the vss removal. use a shop light or two of them for good vision.

take a look at this thread, has photos of the vss, it is easy to r/r if you take your time, uncomfortable to do but once you've done one you can do many.

some vss will need to reuse the old gear drive from the original vss.
easy to remove with the metal clip.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/151752-vehicle-speed-sensor.html

try to access the nut from the driver side moving to the passenger side where the
vss is located on the transmission housing.

1/4" drive ratchet with 6" extension, U-Joint swivel with bit of masking tape on it to keep it semi straight will let you get the metric bolt out easy, use masking tape on the bolt and tape it to the socket when you reinstall the new sensor. easy.

regards,

James

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi James.

Thanks for your pleasent response. I actually have been working on the VSS from the top for some time now and have reached a point where the sensor itself is stuck and lodged inside the transmission case. the top plastic top part has come off and left me with an aluminum body inside the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts