Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started a few days ago. I was driving down the highway at about 75MPH and the steering wheel started shaking. What could be causing this? The front brakes? The front tires or perhaps the front wheels need to be aligned?

I should mention that the front brakes do need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
have you hit any bad potholes recently? Sounds like a tire is out of balance, maybe a wheel weight fell off. If your tire shop offers free rotate and balance take it in a have that done..... or if it hasn't been done recently, it never hurts to get it done.... rotate your wheels every other oil change, and balance them about every 10K miles.

Does your steering wheel vibrate when you hit the brakes? If so, you need to have your rotors turned... you stated you need new brakes anyway, so either have the old rotors turned and refinished or purchase new rotors to go with the new pads.

Those are the most common problems.

J

·
0 Posts
It could be warped rotors or tire balance. I have heard of people finding a nice open, empty stretch of highway and doing about 3 hard 60-0 stops (without locking up the tires) to get everything heated up then driving around and letting it cool for a while and that sometimes helps if it's the brakes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the car over to the friendly people at Sears this past week and they balanced the tires again and did an alignment. The car is back to normal now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts