Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting some new rims and I have a couple of questions and am too lazy/don't have a lot of free time to search. So here it goes 1.- I know 17in. will fit no problem but will 18in.? 2.- Will I have to upgrade my brakes? and 3.- how much slower will 17 or 18in. chrome wheels make my car? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
18 will fit, need 35mm-37mm offset IIRC depending on width,

Dont need to upgrade brakes, but suggested to do so regardless of tire upgrade (good pads, bleed system with good fluid, like Castrol LMA, and maybe new rotors)

Depends on weight of wheels and tires...but in most likelihood it will make it slightly slower because of the couple of extra pounds of unsprung weight.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
18"s that are 7" wide and have a 40mm offset combined with Eibach lowering springs will work. I should know.
The chrome wheels will slow you down a bit. And you will notice the difference with the heaveir wheels on. I suggest you get some with a silver finish, like the factory alloys (just my opion, easier to keep clean also). Unless you're going for the chrome look, which I understand.
As for the brakes, it would be good to upgrade the pads or the front brake system. If you get some heavy 18" chromies. Plus a bigger brake kit will fill out the inside of the wheel better. And you gotta paint the calipers. Besides, it never hurts to upgrade the brake system.

Got any idea what tires you're gonna get??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure what I want to get if get 18in. but I was thinking of going with these cobra R wheels I found on Ebay if I went 17in. It says they are for T-Birds and Cougars but I read somewhere T-Bird rims fit on our cars. They are 17"x9" offset 36mm but that might be to wide going by what you said about the 18"in so I'm not sure now.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by whtcar@Apr 26 2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure what I want to get if get 18in. but I was thinking of going with these cobra R wheels I found on Ebay if I went 17in. It says they are for T-Birds and Cougars but I read somewhere T-Bird rims fit on our cars. They are 17"x9" offset 36mm but that might be to wide going by what you said about the 18"in so I'm not sure now.
That won't work. There's two types of Cobra R rims out there. The 17x7" one will fit our cars (also listed for the Thunderbird/cougars), while the 17x9" rim is just too wide to fit on a FWD vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts