Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago I had to replace my tires, they were falling apart and the Taurus was well over due for a set of new tires. So I went to my dealer and get another set of ContiPro Contacts to replace what I had. So I currently have stock rims and a brand new set of stock tires. Since I just dropped all that money on new tires, and I am not a big fan of those big baller rims, even flashy 18" rims don't appeal to me. I'm thinkin about getting a set of 16" silver or black rims with a polished lip. I just want something that's clean and simple but will give my ride a nice new look while keeping as much tire on the road as possible.

If I do this is it mandatory that I have to get another set of tires anyway, or can I move the tires I have now between the two sets of rims when I need to change them over for the summer/winter seasons?

Not only do I like the idea of having more tire on the road and having a taller sidewall, but I also did just get done buying that new set of tires and I like a smaller cleaner looking rim.

Do you guys think its stupid to buy a set of 16" rims? Should I go big or go home? Just wondering what you guys think, thanks in advance for any comments/opinions on this.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
17's + taurus = win

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Ew, you got a replacement set of Contis?

Anyways, as long as you get 16" x 6" wheels, your tires will transfer over fine. Else you will need to get new tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ew, you got a replacement set of Contis?

Anyways, as long as you get 16" x 6" wheels, your tires will transfer over fine. Else you will need to get new tires.
[/b]

Contis aren't bad, they ride a lot nicer than with the tires I had on there, which were just really old Contis. I mean its just a Taurus after all, I'm not driving the Daytona 500. Just driving around town mostly, a little bit of freeway driving if I have to, so they work nice and weren't too expensive. A set of Yokohama, Toyo, Pirrelli, or Michelin would be great on a set of 18" Giovanni rims, but I'm not a rap superstar or athlete. I make decent money at best, so that's out of my reach until further down the road when I'm ballin like I hope to be. LOL

So you say they'll transfer fine, but will they transfer fine repeatedly between both sets of new and old rims so I don't have to buy another set of tires?

Thanks for the comments guys.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
They'll transfer fine unless someone screws them up with the tire machine, or damages one of your rims. Make sure you tell them to use stick-on weights, cuz the clip-on weights will scratch the rims up and make them corrode. FWIW, i woulda picked different tires to buy too - Conti's are junk, even if the new ones are better than the old ones. There are many better tires out there for the same price. Oh well - too late now anyway. But ya - you can keep swapping the tires from the new rims to the old ones, but you risk damage to a rim in doing that. I'm not saying everyone is incompetent, but mistakes happen.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I have a cheap set of Cooper Trendsetters. Not glamorous at all and hardly breaking the bank, but they are much better than the Contis.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just put a set of used tires off an acura I put tires on last week!! free tires to get me by for awhile FTW :D O yea, don't buy 16's, just shell out and get a set of 18's w/ tires and use your conti's for winter wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts