Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people...I am thinking of getting a bigger set of wheels than my car came with (17s aren't big enough anymore).
The thing I don't get is Offset. I understand that its how much the wheels stick out. What I don't get though, is how it varies with wheel width if it does. Like does the offset vary if the wheel is 8 inches wide compared to 7 inches wide.
Does it also depend on size (17 inch or 18 inch).
Could I be a pain and ask for examples of what width/offset would fit in the 18inch and 19inch wheels?

Sorta on the point...what is the centre bore, the wheels I want state the centre bore spec, but I don't know what that is either.

Thanks Heaps
Julian

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
With the wider wheel you need a smaller offset. For ex. You may have an OS off 45mm with a 7" wide wheel. Bye going with a 8" wide wheel you may now need an OS off 35mm.

The smaller the OS, the more it brings the wheel away from the strut.
It also depends on the how the wheels are made. When going wider, the width may be added more to the outside of the rim so the inside does not get any closer to the strut and your OS does not change but you have a wider wheel.

Just watch out you dont bring them out to much and rub the fender.

Did this help or just mess you up more?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
This is what I get from Probetalk.com forum.

Remember this is for a Probe. This is just an example.

OFFSETS

~Higher the offset #= the closer the wheel sits to the strut
~Lower the offset #= the the wheel sitting farther away from the strut.

Once again the stock rims have 40mm offsets. With the proper tire sizing on a 40mm offset you could easily fit 18x8, 19x8 wheels on all 4 corners. ~thx Chris

~The lowest offset that I know of on a probe is 32mm. (this requires cutting the spring perches and possibly rolling the fender wells based on tire size~you would need coil overs more than likely)
~The highest offset that I know people run on the probe is a 50mm. (now with that offset 3mm spacers are need on the rear)

So basically, anything between 32mm & 50mm will fit. It all depends on where you want the wheel sitting.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm

Hmmmm...

Lowest I have heard from SHO people using wide rims is +35mm offset. But that gets slight rubbing and would require spacers or trimming the rear wheel well depending on the width of the wheel. 38mm-40mm would be the safest bet IMO.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am buying 15 x 6.5 +36mm 4-4.25" rims. Is this going to be a problem with the offset?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts