Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Sable with ABS. I have noticed this irritating whirring/hum noise coming from the front end of my car. The hum appears to be worse when the car is around 45 MPH and above. It seems to subside at freeway speeds. I turned the wheel while driving from side to side and the noise does not seem to get worse when the car leans into to turns. When I am slowing down from 45MPH to stop the hum seems to turn into a grind the closer I get to 0 MPH. The noise seems to be coming from the right front wheel. On a smooth blacktop road the noise is really bad. The car does seem to vibrate ever so slightly from about 5 MPH to 0 MPH. I had the rotors turned and the vibration is still there although it is slightly better. I do have the Goodyear Triple Tread tires and Belle Tire said they make quite a bit of noise, although I don't remember them ever making quite this much noise. I had Belle Tire check the wheel bearings and they said they were ok. I had had the tires rotated and the noise seems to stay in the right front wheel. If it is the wheel bearings is it absolutely necessary to remove the steering knuckle since I have ABS? I know that top bolt can be a pain but can't I use a wobbly with an extension? I really don't want to have to remove the steering knuckle. Which brand of bearing is recommended? Thanks for all advice!!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Timken and Federal Mogul both make quality replacement hub assemblies for the Taurus (in the USA, no less).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts