Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Taurus. To my knowledge neither the front or the rear wheel hub/bearings have ever been replaced.

They are not giving me any trouble and are not making any noise.

Having said that, what are the signs to look for when they're starting to go bad?

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
2004 Taurus. To my knowledge neither the front or the rear wheel hub/bearings have ever been replaced.

They are not giving me any trouble and are not making any noise.

Having said that, what are the signs to look for when they're starting to go bad?
I am on # 7, 8, 9's Bulls. (All '03's) Others given to my daughters or sold. All bought used and run hard. Never had a wheel bearing go bad. I have had bearing go bad on older cars and they whine/roar before they get loose. Modern preload, grease, and seals fix that.
Rear wheel drive that ran roller bearings directly on the axle shaft tended to fail. They leak grease due to excess lateral movement. Expensive fix.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
^ Angel, noise/slop (play).
Sidebar experience: Daughter bought Bucik Terraza. Used 15K miles, GM dealer. Rotors really bad all around and they replaced rotors and pads all around. Rears running hot by feel after short drive. Dealer found rear hubs "clunky loose". They replaced hubs and no more hot brakes. I had driven it and no noise. OE maker bad assembly. Point is you can have loose bearings and not have noise. Only excess brake wear and maybe bad handling.

You would like to think dealer shop would check and notice that problem but guess not. And they did not notice is low miles rotors scored. Do it yourself, check it yourself best deal.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Look for play, use a bar to lift tire when it's off the ground. If loose it's on it's way out. I've done front hubs on several of my Sable's.
My '00 wagon had a hub loose enough to warp a rotor from pad drag yet it didn't make a sound.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
They should make noise before they ever develop play.
That is the case for bearing failure and wear. There are cases where they had play when installed. Would happen if the proper torque was not done to preload the bearing, or where there was a flaw I the "crush spacer" between the inner races.
-chart-

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would expect the bearing to make a clunking sound when going over bumps. I experienced this when some idiot mechanic didn't set the preload properly on my mother's car. They gave me some nonsense story of grease interfering with preload. Next year I visited my mother and saw a bill for bearings that were replaced. Idiots!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
kestas
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing