Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 97 Ford Taurus 3.0 12v V6. I have been browsing this site for a while and have found it to be excellent.

I am planning to do a front brake job tomorrow and was wondering if someone would be able to give me information on packing the wheel bearings on this car.

Also, I was thinking of adding a flowmaster Delta flow 40 series muffler to this car. Would it sound good? I have one on my 5.0 F-150 and love the sound.

I was also curious as to which generation my Taurus would be considered, Gen II or Gen III? And is it the Vulcan motor that I have?

I know this is a lot to ask, I would be appreciative for any information anyone wishes to share. Thanks again.

·
Registered
478 Posts
ure using a gen III and with a vulcan...i think..not sure on the engine type....its either the vulcan or the duratec though

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, definitly a gen 3 (96-99) you are also running a vulcan engine. The 12 valves give it away as the duratec has 24.

josh

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
To answer your bearing question:

The bearings are non-servicable. They are meant to just be replaced when they fail. This goes for the front and rear bearings.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Yep, as someone who replaced both front bearings, they're meant to just be thrown out and replaced. It's the hub/bearing assembly too so they're not cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How hard is it to replace the front wheel bearing/hub assembly? I have a '99 Sable, and the front passenger side bearing needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had to change out one of my front bearings on my Sable, which should be the same as the Taurus, but, I'm not sure of the changes they made from 97 to 99 with the setup they have. But, I know on my car, it was a bit of a pain in the a**. Me personnally, I wouldn't look forward into doing it again. I would give you better details on it, but I haven't done it in almost a year. I could do it again if I had to, but I'm not good at explaining the step by step process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts