Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '01 taurus wagon with a little over 225000kms on it. She runs great and hasn't had any trouble other than typical maintenance. but now there's a rubbing\grinding noise which seems to be coming from the front passenger side. Brakes are all new so it's not a rotor or rubbing pad. The noise is there at all speeds but it does get louder and faster as speed picks up. There is a distinct vibration running up from the gas peddle that only goes away once the car is at full stop. I checked the cv boots just to be sure and they look good but I don't want to start ripping into this until I have a better idea of where to start. It seems to me to either be a bad bearing or cv joint but having never had either of those go bad I'm not sure just what to look for. Does any of this sound familiar? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
To check the bearinyou can jack the front end of the car up and do a couple things. Check for play in the bearing. You can try spinning the wheel by hand while holding onto the coil spring, if there is any roughness in the bearing you should feel in resonate up through the spring. Or with the front end up in the air start the can and put it in gear and have someone bring the wheels up to a decent speed and listen with a stethoscope.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts