Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use the back wheel bearings from a car that has disc brakes to a car that has drums? I've got a '98 Taurus SE.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^ Dunno? Part#s differ but bearing size is the same. Abs collar (tone ring) may interfere? Might try it and see if you can save $100+ esp. if youre tearing the drum equipped one down anyway. Rear hub/bearing assemblies are a piece of cake on disc or drum set-up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bearing match

Let me try to explain it better....A guy I know has a donor Taurus with disc brakes in back. I need to know if the bearings, and only the bearings, will fit/work on my Taurus with drum brakes.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
From what the previous posters have said, no. I believe they're saying that you can't interchange a hub assembly (that's the bearing) from disc to drum. I guess if you converted to disc brakes, that would work?

The hub assemblies do not interchange on rockauto, and they look visually different.

Someone else will chime in if I'm wrong. ;)

edit: I guess this is a little older than I thought, ooh well.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
If youre separating the bearing from the hub (not advised), then yes, the bearings themselves are the same size. They have to be pressed into the receiving hub to the precise location and if there is any wear in said hub, they wont sit right and stay put. Been there, done that. Also, a pain to remove good bearing from hub without damaging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts