Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

February Poll

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
To this day I still can't muster up a good answer for what single generation I like best... I'd still love to have a seafoam green Gen 2 Taurus wagon though.... MMmmmmmmm....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Since, I was mature and using the roads on a daily basis when the Gen 1's appeared and became the American all around best car I would have to say the best Taurus/Sable's would be in the order produced. Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3 and Gen 4 in that order. But, since I have previously owned a Gen 3 and now a Gen 4, looking back my favorites are in the reverse order of Gen 4, Gen 3, Gen 2 and Gen 1 as the best to the least liked. Oh, what am I kidding myself for, I like them all the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gen 2. They look the best to me, and, well I have one :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I remember when the Taurus was first introduced, and I recall thinking it looked like a spaceship. I was fairly young then and quite used to the majority of cars on the roads being 70's and earlier, with chrome and real headlights. The headlights, grill... it all looked like a UFO to me, and I thought that was cool. (I also recall being similarly taken aback by the look of the Ram when they came out with the 'mack truck' snout in like 1994 I think, but that's off topic.)

All in all, I think I would like a gen 4 wagon if I had the choice. I've always liked wagons for some reason.

·
Registered
74 Posts
After considerable thought, gotta say the Gen V will be winner for me. Best chassis of the bunch, command seating, SOLID feel, better gearbox, and the Duratec 35 has an available factory turbo in the form of the new SHO. Available all wheel drive - To me that means potential for a RWD conversion if you're in to such things; and once you go that route, a v8 might shoe-horn in there nicely.

OH, the possibilities!

·
Registered
44 Posts
For right now I'm picking Gen1 as my favorite. I haven't driven other generations, but I am thinking of buying a newer gen (to save my dear poor gen1 from the hell of Ohio winters). But it's like everyone tells me: You can't beat a classic (and it's hell getting old, but that's off topic).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm partial to Gen.1's...even though I have driven 1-5. We had a '90 in the family for 13 years, my folks bought it new in '90. (I was 6 then) My dad put me up on his lap and let me steer while he worked the pedals on our way home with it. I drove it in high school...I pretty much grew up in that car. My dad made me change the plugs by the firewall during tuneups when I was little cause "I had skinny arms". We had a bunch of Gen.4's...good cars, but not as "caveman simple" as the Gen.1's.

I parked my new Silverado and I commute every day with my bare bones '89 Taurus L. It's so easy to work on, similar to playing with Legos...lol. The thing has close to 200k miles, but is happy to make the 80 mile round trip every dayB)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with Gen 3. I loved my red taurus station wagon to bits, until the accident happened. I cared for that car, and she took care of me when the time came to it. Rita had 320,000 k on her at the time of the crash, and the only thing broken on her was the front, while the crappy little rusty S10 that was the other vehicle looked bad. They are tanks, I recommend them for anyone who has a son or daughter learning to drive. They are awesome. Can't say enough about them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Gen 3, but not until the '98 facelift that moved the Ford logo onto chrome bar in the grill among other things.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
'98

Gen 3, but not until the '98 facelift that moved the Ford logo onto chrome bar in the grill among other things.
I agree, but for another reason. The DOHC had dual exhaust, and progressive double intake butterflys.

As opposed the the single exaust and single butterfly on my '01 and '03.

However, I much prefer the water pump on the camshaft and not in the front with that dumb hose/pipe from the pump to the thermostat.

But, then I am being practical, not pretty.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
G3, with Duratec engine. With AX4N transmission. 1996 model. Why? Maybe because this is what I own :)
I think is one of the best engines Ford produced. Don't know ended up so, maybe because what wiki says about it:
"The Mondeo V6 is a modern aluminum DOHC V6 with a 60° bank angle. The primary engineering input came from Porsche, who were developing a similar V6 before selling the engineering to Ford, and Cosworth, who helped with cylinder head manufacturing."

·
Registered
22,438 Posts
^+1! I have to admit, i like all of the taurus/sable generations. Theyre like beer and pizza. Theyre all good, some (gen3) are better than others!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I voted Gen 3...really unique styling...sporty feel when driving...nice low profile.

I had a Gen 2 that my niece in Ohio is still driving....I need to find out how many miles are on that puppy! It looked real good, a metallic green, until it got attacked by a bear while camping...had it repaired but the door rusted years later due to poor work on the repair.

I loved a '99 Gen 3 that my sister is now driving ...and now has over 200K miles on with no major problems....it is a dark blue...I used to call it my batmobile when I was driving it

I have an '04 Gen 4 Sable, 90K ...and helped my sister-in-law find a sweet '05 metallic gray Gen 4 Taurus...both doing very well...hers has the spoiler that makes it look a little more sporty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
gEN 4 CARS HAD STIFFER BODIES, NEW FORD TOOLING. My 00 taurus suspension is stiffer than my wife's 03 sable. I scrape driveways with that one.

181 - 200 of 213 Posts
About this Discussion
212 Replies
179 Participants
lambdapro
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing