Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to sell my 2002 SE wagon with 114,000 while it was still running fine, and I figured go for the newest wagon i can get.

Found a 2005 SEL with 50,000+change miles, and was going to jump on it, till I did some research and saw the numerous complaints about transmission failures for the year 2005 alone. None for 04, and none for 06...go figure...only 05, the last year the wagon was made.

Anyway, from what I could find out, all 2005's would have the AX4N transmission which is the same as in my 2002, and I've had no problems. Yet, there are 55 reports of tranny failure at car complaints alone, plus lots of discussion elsewhere. Anybody know if Ford did something to the AX4N for 2005?? Did they change something about the car, or maybe it actually is a different tranny?? Should i risk throwing $6995 into a trouble car? any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
QUOTE (Frankus12 @ Jun 6 2010, 07:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809938
I wanted to sell my 2002 SE wagon with 114,000 while it was still running fine, and I figured go for the newest wagon i can get.

Found a 2005 SEL with 50,000+change miles, and was going to jump on it, till I did some research and saw the numerous complaints about transmission failures for the year 2005 alone. None for 04, and none for 06...go figure...only 05, the last year the wagon was made.

Anyway, from what I could find out, all 2005's would have the AX4N transmission which is the same as in my 2002, and I've had no problems. Yet, there are 55 reports of tranny failure at car complaints alone, plus lots of discussion elsewhere. Anybody know if Ford did something to the AX4N for 2005?? Did they change something about the car, or maybe it actually is a different tranny?? Should i risk throwing $6995 into a trouble car? any input is greatly appreciated.[/b]
Those sites are not very reliable sources for info, all that it is are people gripping about their car, possable the same person complained more than once. The AX4N in the '05 is the exact same unit and design that is in my '07, just that I believe the tourqe converter mounting is different becouse it has the Duratec engine, and not the Vulcan like mine. One thing to ask about the wagon is: "any paperwork/reciepts for transmission fluid change"? Since the miles are low, and it's not that old, you should be okay. Just run a Autocheck report on it first.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I actually work at a ford dealer and can contest to this. Ford had some problems with the trannys in the 04 and 05 taurus (mainly 05). There is a TSB for it. It can't remember exactly what was failing but it seemed to affect 05 the most.

I bought my 06 about two weeks before 4 bulls, an 03, 04 (think) and 2 05's bit the dust and showed up at the garage. It worried me a lot until I noticed the TSB that affected 04's and 05's only.

I don't think every single 05 taurus would have this problem. It may just bit hit or miss. In the last few months i've seen maybe three 05's come in for rebuilds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an chance to buy a 05 Taurus for 1500.00 w/108000 milles. Only problem is the lady said it ran fine and she went out to go somewhere and the transmission did not engage. She said Fluid is red!Ttorque conv.? What does it cost to replae?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have an chance to buy a 05 Taurus for 1500.00 w/108000 milles. Only problem is the lady said it ran fine and she went out to go somewhere and the transmission did not engage. She said Fluid is red!Ttorque conv.? What does it cost to replae?
I would suspect that the pump shaft broke inside the tranny. I borrowed a 2004 to take a 10 hour trip. I got half way and the tranny light went crazy. I stopped and the fluid was very foamy and seemed overfull. I stopped at the next possible town and got gas and did some more inspection. Went to start and had no gears. I had the car towed to a tranny shop and had a nice rebuild a week later. $3000 to fix, I could have rented a new car for the trip for a lot less. The pumps were really weak in 20004 and 2005 according to the tranny shop. If you can afford a tranny later it would be a good deal. I would just offer $500 for the car and be ready to get the tools out.
downhill~~~

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow, old thread. :eek:

Was it mostly Vulcans or Duratecs affected by the problems? And what exactly was the TSB for? I cant find any details on it.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Whats Wrong With The 2005 Taurus Transmission?

Same thing that's wrong with all the other Taurus transmissions. Poor design. You would think that after 15 or 20 years they could get it right. I had problems (slippage, jerkiness, repeated "Check Trans" warning in 2004) with the trans in my 2000 and 2004 LXs, starting at just over 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Secondcrk, here in Ks. City, Ks. at a local mom and pop tranny shop, tranny rebuild (r&r) runs ~$1500. A new torque converter installed is about 1/2 that ($750-800).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you ever need to get your tranny rebuilt, Dont go get one from ford!! If you take your tranny out once and get a rebuilt on do it right and ull only have to replace it once!! Take you old bad tranny to a transmission shop to be rebuilt, And have them install the (TRANS GO SHIFT KIT) $100 or less and have the transmission reprogrammed to shift faster. The faster and harder they shift the longer they last!! Itll make the AX4N basically unbreakable!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts