Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Yeah, similar (if not the same) as the bars leak pellets that come in the tube touting that many car mfrs. use them at the factory and should be used thereafter with coolant changes/flushes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I have seen those. After replacing the t-stat, pump and degass tank plus fresh coolant I did not put those in. I am a little leery of that, but.........

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Basically is a "I need a new heater core" in a bottle. It plugs everything. It also interferes with the corrosion inhibits int he coolant. I've used it before, and yes it stopped the leak, and after a couple years, the heater core and radiator and thermostat had to be replaced. All the while the system was troublesome, it would run on the hot side.

A far better approach is the actually fix the problem, and then use the proper coolant and maintain it regularly. Prevention is worth an once of cure, this is especially true of the cooling system.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Basically is a "I need a new heater core" in a bottle. It plugs everything. It also interferes with the corrosion inhibits int he coolant. I've used it before, and yes it stopped the leak, and after a couple years, the heater core and radiator and thermostat had to be replaced. All the while the system was troublesome, it would run on the hot side.

A far better approach is the actually fix the problem, and then use the proper coolant and maintain it regularly. Prevention is worth an once of cure, this is especially true of the cooling system.
i back flushed the core as well as the other stuff and now have heat! B) i just saw that and was very surprised Ford sold that stuff.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
My guess is that its probably added at the factory so there wont be any nagging leaks when it reaches the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^ +1

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used radiator stop leak once with success.

So there was a minor leak in my cooling system almost 3 years ago. Instead of "fixing the problem", I first did a coolant flush, then added a bottle of Bars. I waited a few weeks after the leak completely stopped, then flush the system again.

Haven't had any problem since -- knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Band-aids are just that, while they can protect for a while the sticky backing on them wears off. If you have a leak fix it, stop leak may work now but down the line it will cause more problems than it's worth. Just like these "Magic Ford Pills" that they say is part of the process, It's a cover up for design flaws.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you have a leak fix it, stop leak may work now but down the line it will cause more problems than it's worth.
I would have fixed it if it was a newer car -- the fix would be a new radiator. But the car was almost nine year old and had 110K miles, so I decided to try the "Band-aid".

It's almost 3 years and more than 60K now. It might be a temporary fix, but what's permanent? For less than $20 including the extra coolant I am very happy with this particular "Band-aid".

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Congratulations I guess? I'm not trying to say you're any less of a man by not just fixing the leak, just stating if a gasket is leaking then fix it, don't band aid it. Any stop leak for any system in the car is just a quick fix to get you by, I wouldn't drive my taurus on a long family trip with my wife and kids in the car on band-aids, it's a bad idea that never ends well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts