Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just giving a quick update on what i thought was cool.

Took it out tonight and did the first 0-60 run i've done in many months, had the usual wheelspin problems of course and i stupidly forgot to raise the shift point :) anyway I managed a new best of 6.94 seconds on the gtech, a time i KNOW i can improve upon with some tweaking here and there.

I've managed to find a source for a larger crank pulley - 8.4" ( http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/ASP_Pulleys.html ) i'll get my hands on one of those soon enough and look into welding it on to the backplate of a stock taurus crank pulley. Rough estimates on the approximate degree of belt wrap (about 210*) and the difference in diameters of the 2 crank pulleys show that it will take less than 1 extra inch of belt to make up the difference (arc length formula). Plug in that crank size and a regular 10% OD (2.85") sc pulley into the boost forumla and it should be good for 13-14 PSI ..... AND.... belt slip should be a thing of the past, since i'm running 11PSI now with a teeeny little 2.5" pulley.

In other words, big plans as usual :)

Whats going on with your projects? Dont be shy, come out of the woodwork :D

edit : also FINALLY took care of that random PCM freaking out problem, I take it the computer doesnt like the tps signal shorted back and forth between ground and vcc :D - note to self, keep all wires FAR from rear exhaust manifold :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Wow, you need to stop dropping in and out and just stay as a regular. We've missed you man.

BTW, have you ever taken it down the 1/4? I've never seen any times, and was just curious as to what she'd run.

Welcome back and stay this time. We've had too many "veteran" members leave in the past year or so.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll never leave :) at least not for good anyway.

You know how it is when non-car stuff piles up on u :D

Still havent been on a dyno or to a track yet unfortunately, about the only hard numbers i have are from the gtech =\ soon enough though :)

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by DMX@Oct 11 2004, 09:43 PM
i'll never leave :) at least not for good anyway.
That's good to hear. I've always looked up to you man.

Still havent  been on a dyno
Didn't you dyno it at your school a year ago (maybe longer)? I still remember the pics, and now I gotta find 'em.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yeah that was pretty lame, i coulldnt stay on there for more than a few seconds before the front end started fishtailing away....FWD vehicle on a "dyno" with chains only long enough for rwd vehicles.....it was ghetto to say the least.

There are a couple of actually decent dyno places in town now, they opened up the beginning of this year, one of these days i'll swing by there and see what I can do. I already know not to get my hopes up tooooo far, i'd be totally happy (for now) with 225HP/340 TQ :D

hmmmm I wonder where my emphasis is :D

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
WB Craig. :coolgleam: Looks like a 3.2 swap and some of Mikey's new cams over here, glad to see that beast is alive and well. You realize that even some of the SuperSHO's don't put down that much twist? :boink:

B

·
0 Posts
Nice to see you around Craig, that's also a pretty good improvement in your 0-60 time!

After working through some other stuff, I'm planning on a 3.2l SHO swap as well, in the 91. There's a whole lot more, however some of it is products that are not released yet. Don't wanna say too much, in case I blow the **** sky high. :D

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Screw the 3.2, go for the 3.4 V8.

Glad to see you around Craig! Estimated 340 ft/lbs of torque! That's insane! I wanna see this thing in action!

JR

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its not really an estimate, just something I'd like to shoot for :)

Some other small changes i've made were to eliminate the whole pipe to coupling to pipe to coupling setup i had on the outlet and inlet sides, AND as far as couplings go, say goodbye to those old fernco plumbing couplings I was using from day. Now I have some silicone stuff I got from a local truck stop and it works MUCH better. Those two changes alone netted me about a 1.5 PSI increase and i'm a little past 11.5 psi now and hmm yeah its good :D

I still have some flex couplings right at the IC that i'd like to find a way to get rid of so I can put that boost INTO the engine instead of wasting it expanding them, the IC however is aluminum, so for the time being i'm stuck with them <_<

The attached file shows the solid 1 piece pipe on the inlet/outlet , dont make fun of the inlet one i havent smoothed it yet :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I ORDER YOU TO POST VIDEOS!!! I wanna hear that thing rev up and actually shift!

My projects in the past couple months consisted of swapping to police package heads after blowing headgaskets, port-matching intakes, half shafting the throttle body, and tossing on some new wheels with winter tires..

I documented everything (with a TON of pics of course) right HERE:

New wheel pics HERE

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Originally posted by 95SE@Oct 18 2004, 06:13 PM
I ORDER YOU TO POST VIDEOS!!! I wanna hear that thing rev up and actually shift!
I agree so much

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NICE job on the heads :) So you want to build up a 4.2 huh, I would like to try that in conjunction with the SC setup now. I think my next big mod will be some good flowing heads - maybe from Gaston of v6p. Somehow I dont think my home porting skills are any match for the pros :D, call me crazy :)

I still want to get my hands on a better blower too, 95 S ported - or mmmmmmm magnaport II, oh yeah thats what the doctor ordered B) I found some little nicks on my rotors when I took my blower apart in july (see pic) i'm not sure how much of a difference that makes, but i'm sure its not a good thing.

Anyway, if the rain holds off i'm going to try some more 0-60 runs and maybe, just maybe a 1/4 tonight, - i'll try heating up the tires a little first to see if that helps, lets hope everything works out. Its a very long quiet road with fields on either side, just outside of town (this road - http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/videos/scrr-burnout2-384.mpg )

Wish me luck :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and my camcorder is down at the moment, my friend borrowed it and managed to screw up the tape so now i'm struck. I have my digicam which can take 30 second avi clips but there is no sound unfortunately <_<

Stay tuned though, I always post lots of videos when i can. J I need some vids of that supercoupe and Taurus of yours too :) I need all the help I can get in matching shiftpoints and listening to what the blower *should* sound like - with no slippage. Hook me up :D

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
results = not so hot <_<

Tires burned furiously but 0-60 rose to 7.2 then 7.8 ..then 8.0 wtf ?? Then the a/f dipped down below 10:1 and stayed there at WOT - oh yeah pig rich. AND i set the 2-3 shift too high (79 mph) that took FOREVER since it was so close to redline i was afraid of fuel cutoff.

I'm doing the head scratching then i tried again and found that I had a huge boost leak. I was topping out at about a whopping 7psi wooo, down about 5psi from what I've been hitting.

All that wheel combined for a 1/4 time of 15.9 @ something - kinda unimpressive, but there's always another day to try again ---after i've fixed the issues.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just sucks cuz its like murphys law got me again :rolleyes:

I dropped the 1-2 from 39 to 34 mph and 2-3 from 79 to 72mph. Tomorrow morning i'm going to find that boost leak and hopefully give it another shot if the weather doesnt turn crappy.

Wish me luck again :) One good thing is i have yet another mistake to learn from :)

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Get some real tires and get to a track :notworthy:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts