Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just replaced my wiper blades about two months ago. They were super quiet for like two days and then they started SQUEAKING like crazy...help!!

As you Californias probably know, it's been raining all over So.Cal today. The annoying squeak was getting on our nerves.

So what are some really good, quiet, wiper blades I can buy??

Thanks for your help,

-Kyle

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have the newest Bosch wipers (I think they're called something like microedge) and have been VERY happy with them....quiet and a very clean wipe

X

·
0 Posts
I hear ya Kyle. Mine were being noisey b#[email protected] too! I replaced them about 6 months ago with bosch. Could be that they are never used that they tend to stick in that spot?? My recommendation goes to Rain X. As long as I am over 40, rain just flies off my windshield. Looks like I need to add some more to the windshield.

·
Registered
887 Posts
They're called "Micro Excel".....get the whole wiper arm, it's very little extra versus getting just the blade refill and that way, the arm has the particular flexibility that Bosch wanted for that blade...

·
Registered
116 Posts
the one i have a silicone blades they are not as bad as the regular rubber ones and they are the aero dynamic ones they sell at walmart and i forgot what their called oh well they sell em at walmart for 7.00 a piece, plus they don't catch the wind when its windy

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by MySablesNameIsBruce@Feb 19 2004, 10:48 AM
Love my Boschs!!! i'd go for those...like everyone else
Igualmente. (aka likewise!)

Yeah BOSCH.

Also, I highly recommend RAIN - X.

This is a must! Especially if you live where it rains a good amount.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I had two sets of Bosches that were good, and one set that was crap. I think they were dry rotted or something. Since then, I switched to Tricos and I have been happy, although I don't hold anything against Bosch... it was probably Pep Boys' fault for selling old stock.

Some tips for good wiper operation I have learned over the years...
#1. Clean the whole windshield with a small amount of Soft Scrub (don't get any on the paint, and don't rub it into the glass really hard.) Then wipe the residue away with a wet washcloth/rag. The Soft Scrub gets rid of microscopic tar spots and other hardened residue that Windex alone cannot remove. This will keep your windshield from getting streaky or hazy when you use the wipers.
#2. Clean the glass with Windex and newsprint (NOT paper towels!)
#3. Apply Rain-X per directions.
#4. Clean your wiper blades periodically with washer fluid and a soft cloth. Don't use Windex--the ammonia will etch/rot the rubber wiper blade.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Soft Scrub might be a good idea, but I just use my clay bar on the glass to pull all the embedded crap out of the glass like it does on the paint. Then Rain-X per directions and Viola, very nice. For cleaning supplies, check out www.dccarcare.com this is the mail order Detail shop owned and operated by Don Mallinson, the President of the National SHO Club and a Hell of a nice guy

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by SHOMAN@Feb 19 2004, 10:24 AM
The Soft Scrub might be a good idea, but I just use my clay bar on the glass to pull all the embedded crap out of the glass like it does on the paint. Then Rain-X per directions and Viola, very nice.  For cleaning supplies, check out www.dccarcare.com  this is the mail order Detail shop owned and operated by Don Mallinson, the President of the National SHO Club and a Hell of a nice guy
That's a good idea too. I think I'll try that... the clay bar is probably easier to clean up than Soft Scrub. I got the Soft Scrub idea from Rain-X... that's what they say to use to remove Rain-X if you have to.

And Don is a great guy... he always has good advice for me when I ask questions about my SHO.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Bosch Micro-Edge is by far the more superior wiper on the market. I am not kidding when I say one full wiper revolution, and the glass is bone dry.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I use on occasion, the Rain-X Glass Care 2000. It is similar to soft scrub, but rinses a little easier in the end. It does a good job at cleaning the grime that collects around the very edge of the glass along the seals. Just don't press very hard when you use it, especially on the mirrors. Also do NOT use on your plastic light lenses. I found that out the hard way a few years ago. It is only for glass. I feel the Rain-X Glass Care 2000 when used every few months keeps the Rain-X on longer down here where it rains everyday. It is a good team to have on your windsheild IMHO.

So far my stock wipers aren't squeeking yet.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I just installed Bosch Microedge Excel's about a month ago. Haven't heard a peep from them yet and they don't leave any streaks.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has suggested Anco AeroVantage blades yet. I have been using these for a long time and have never had trouble with them. In my experience, they are the quietest.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies every body. I really, greatly appreciate it. I guess I will go with a Bosch and Rain-X Combo...sounds like the best way to go.

-Kyle

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well I got the Bosch wipers today with Rain-X. It did rain again so I got to try them out..and DANG. They are Q U I E T. we can't even tell they are on! Thanks guys!

-Kyle

·
Registered
313 Posts
Have you ever ridden a motorcycle around Cali for any extended period of time? My buddies & I used to do it all the time. You'd get completely covered in crap that was blowing out of people's exhausts - Water & grime and stuff. In a car, that collets on windshields and normally on the road surface. When it rains, which isn't all that often down there, what's on the road bed gets liquidated and thrown up on the windshields and so forth.

All this grime, oil, grease, and soot builds up and causes a lot of this squeaking you're referring to. It's gotta be cleaned off. I've heard of softscrub, but most manufacturers recommend BonAmi.

We've been round and round this discussion here - Pros and cons - Here's all I know: NASA used the stuff to clean the windows on Spacelab, so you know it isn't going to scratch. Just use lots of water so it is foamy. BON AMI

As a matter of fact, there's a heavy duty GM 'glass cleaner' that is Bon Ami.

Once you clean the windows, the chatter and squeaks will go away. I do it every few months and haven't had a problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts