Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next week or so I'm gonna be moving a friend of mine.We reserved a 12ft trailer and at the same time I'm getting them to install my reese hitch.So............basically what I need to know is what's the maximum weight I can pul behind Old BlueThunder.I've heard that it' approx 170lbs and I've also heard 3000lbs.Which is right please?
If there is info on this subject please supply the link that way I don't have to go crazy searching.
Thank you again

Thank you very much
Gerry

Screwed up sorry.This shouldnt have been posted here
Sorry

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
How far are you going?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I wouldnt do that in a taurus. The tranny is already held together with bubblegum and popsicle sticks.

Here is the specs I found. I personally wouldnt tow anything more than a waverunner/jetski. It should be the same for the 2000 model.

Ford Taurus 4-door sedan short specs. (2003 model)

Dimensions

Length 197.6 (5019 mm)
Width 73.0 (1854 mm)
Height 56.1 (1425 mm)
Curb Weight (with Duratec engine) 3,322 lbs (1507 kg)

Maximum Towing Capacity

Vulcan: 1250 lbs (567 kg)
Duratec: 1750 lbs (794 kg)

Engines:

Vulcan OHV

Duratec DOHC 12 valves 3.0L V6 155 h.p @ 4900 rpm,
185 lb.-ft. @ 3900 rpm

24 valves 3.0L V6 200 h.p @ 5650 rpm,
200 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm.

Fuel Economy:

Vulcan OHV 12 valves

Duratec DOHC 24 valves

city: 20MPG (11.8 L/100km)
hwy: 28MPG (8.4 L/100km)

city: 20MPG (11.8 L/100km)
hwy: 27MPG (8.7 L/100km)

Recommended Fuel

87 octane (minimum)

Fuel Tank Capacity
18.0 US gal (68 liters)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/b]

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldnt do that in a taurus. The tranny is already held together with bubblegum and popsicle sticks
[/b]
Well the next stop down is the 10ft trailer at about 1650lbs loaded.If I take it easy I should make it right?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
I wouldnt do that in a taurus. The tranny is already held together with bubblegum and popsicle sticks
[/b]
Well the next stop down is the 10ft trailer at about 1650lbs loaded.If I take it easy I should make it right? [/b][/quote]

You'll probably make it, but your tranny life is likely going to be significantly compromised. Get a tranny cooler at the least first.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Well the next stop down is the 10ft trailer at about 1650lbs loaded.If I take it easy I should make it right? [/b][/quote]

You'll probably make it, but your tranny life is likely going to be significantly compromised. Get a tranny cooler at the least first.
[/b][/quote]
I'm on a really fixed budget here.What would it cost for a tranny cooler?I can install it myself it's just the cash that I don't know if I have.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
~$50us, don't know what it is in canada

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Having towed my ~400lb canoe trailer and ~2,000lb truck bed trailer and several others in between, I speak from experience. At 400lbs, with the exeption of an occasional clunk from the ball, you'll forget it's back there. At 2000lbs it still handles fine but stopping is a joke. I've pulled it twice, about 20 miles each time, and won't ever do it again.

Your car is rated to pull 1,750lbs. But that is dependent on what hitch you have. Use the lesser of 1,750lbs or your hitch rating. Also, do not exceed the maximum tongue weight. Again, that depends on the hitch you have. Usually it's 150-300lbs.

I recommend nothing bigger than a 5'x8' single axle and be careful how you load it: 60% of the weight ahead of the axle, 40% behind it.

And I wouldn't move any trailer more than a block without a tranny cooler.

Good luck with the move.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Sounds like you should skip the whole trailing idea and just rent a van/truck one way and have someone else follow you. Cheaper than a new transmission or adding a hitch.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
:werd:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotemain'>
Sounds like you should skip the whole trailing idea and just rent a van/truck one way and have someone else follow you. Cheaper than a new transmission or adding a hitch.
[/b]
Agreed.

http://www.penske.com
http://www.ryder.com
http://www.budget.ca

Don't use UHaul...
[/b][/quote]
I think I already have a tranny cooler.When I open the hood and look towards the bottom at the rad.I can see just below it a unit that looks like a mini rad with lines going to the tranny I think.Could I be right on that one?

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
Rent a truck. Pulling a 2000 lb trailer with a 3300 lb car is asking for trouble (ever hear of the tail wagging the dog?). It is just a question of if the tranny fails first, or the brakes overheat / fail first. The Taurus is a great car, but not designed for doing this. Also, it is not safe....... yes you can replace a blown tranny, but you cant replace a life taken due to 300+ foot stopping distances from 60 mph due to a hopelessly overloaded car / trailer combo....... all this coming from a 53 year old who has seen and done alot.

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>ever hear of the tail wagging the dog? [/b]
I, for one, know that sucks
[/b][/quote]

BTDT........ NOT fun :(

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uhaul is trying to tell me i can tow up to 3500lbs with no problem at all.Should i slap him in the head for lying to me or what?He says he's personally done it or seen it done.So...................should I give him a shot in the head or what?
in fast he wants to sell me a 3500lb hitch.Installed with all the accessories it will cost me like 500 bucks.A little steep isn't it?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Uhaul is trying to tell me i can tow up to 3500lbs with no problem at all.Should i slap him in the head for lying to me or what?He says he's personally done it or seen it done.So...................should I give him a shot in the head or what?
in fast he wants to sell me a 3500lb hitch.Installed with all the accessories it will cost me like 500 bucks.A little steep isn't it?
[/b]
No, don't do any of this. Personal guarantees from a guy behind a U-Haul counter, I'm sorry to say, should be taken with a grain of salt. Remember, your Taurus weights not much over 3000 lbs...how do you plan on towing double your vehicle's weight? While the hitch itself may be capable of the tow, your vehicle is not. Go rent a truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts