Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 167 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read it if you want.. It's just a sad and entertaining (but true) story.

I was just out for a night of fun.. when 3 out of my group suddenly had to depart, so it's just two in my 3.2 SHO.. ""It's a saturday night, why not have some fun?"" so we cruise around for a while.. no one wants to race us, whatever.. I remember there's this place about 45 minutes from where we are; a very raised railroad crossing, so why not jump it? .. see if we can get a little chirp as we go over it. So we take the scenic canyon drive instead of the freeway, and when we find the crossing among the busy streets we go for it: 45..55..65..70 then we go over the tracks.. and SMASH!!! we bottom the front end.. and my feet are numb. My only passenger says his back hurts.. I'm just thinking that I was going a little bit too fast, all I was trying to get was a chirp when we went over.. instead we got completely airborne for about a half a second and hurt the suspension.. Now I'm noticing that the car is vibrating a lot.. a whole lot, we stop, check under the car: no fluids. we check the suspension; it all looks good. We measure all the fluids; they're perfect. But the car is just shaking. ""OK I'm still an hour from home, it's 12:30AM, we better get going"" this time we go for the freeway. And as we hit the large hill we say.. why not test out the top speed. . (at this point I was just thinking the car was going to fall apart) we have it floored up the whole hill.. which lasts for about a mile, now the we're going 100MPH, then over the top, and now we're going 110, 115, 120, 122, 125, 127, 128. then we're coming up to a huge turn.. we slow to about 110, go around it, then slow to 60 and get off the freeway, that's it, we're done, and the car is going to be overhauled in the morning.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ever heard of the Darwin awards? Trying to win one?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
You don't like your car, do you?

As for top speed, I can't say. My speedo only goes up to 120, and I haven't found anybody with a high mph speedo to ride next to me and tell me how fast I'm going.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@May 2 2004, 09:17 AM

As for top speed, I can't say. My speedo only goes up to 120, and I haven't found anybody with a high mph speedo to ride next to me and tell me how fast I'm going.
Ya know, you could borrow one of those "your speed" things that the police set up on the sides of roads.... B)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have a governor at 113 :( Not for long though. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Originally posted by afi292+May 2 2004, 09:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (afi292 @ May 2 2004, 09:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk@May 2 2004, 09:17 AM

As for top speed, I can't say.  My speedo only goes up to 120, and I haven't found anybody with a high mph speedo to ride next to me and tell me how fast I'm going.
Ya know, you could borrow one of those "your speed" things that the police set up on the sides of roads.... B) [/b][/quote]
Umm... they only go up to 99.... Don't ask how I know. The Autotap I have plugs in and gives your speed up to 158 mph.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I hit 106 in the HOV lane on one of the freeways down here in Houston. It was a strait line, had to be about a mile long, no humps or anything, and I just floored it. Cruised strait, powerful, quiet. My passanger was freaking out. It was fun :)

I don't speed more than 75 anymore, though, in any place other than an empty HOV lane, no matter the traffic. I learned my lesson after my second speeding ticket, going 83 at midnight on an empty freeway. Damnit.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've stopped trying to test the upper limits of my car.......I got scared pretty damn good when my friend and I got pulled over(he was driving :) )doing 69mph over the speed limit.....got a verbal warning...had he gotten the ticket, he would have lost his license, cuz in British COlumbia, Canada, you have to have a "N" for 2 years.....with a max point limit of 4points on it......he would have had 6 for the ticket..........

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
in my car i got the speedo to 120 on a long straightaway. and then in my bosses Saleen Mustang with a v10 we were hitting 180. LOL on public roads is the best part

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Craddosk, yeah I remember the "N" even tho I just missed out of that......

the fastest that I ever went was 210 Km/h down hwy 17 going into Tsawwassen,
hit the overpass doing 180 in my old 88 LX mustang, and by the bottom she was doing at around 210 km/h after that I slowed down becasue it was my turnoff

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I have no clue. This was before I put in the cop speedo so it was somewhere after 85 MPH. And I wasn't doing anything illegal, just passing someone on a two lane highway.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by Kermit+May 2 2004, 11:47 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kermit @ May 2 2004, 11:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2004, 09:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk
@May 2 2004, 09:17 AM

As for top speed, I can't say.  My speedo only goes up to 120, and I haven't found anybody with a high mph speedo to ride next to me and tell me how fast I'm going.

Ya know, you could borrow one of those "your speed" things that the police set up on the sides of roads.... B)
Umm... they only go up to 99.... Don't ask how I know. The Autotap I have plugs in and gives your speed up to 158 mph. [/b][/quote]
lol thats bad

·
Registered
161 Posts
I once did 107 in the Sable...in regular drive.

Did 117 in my mom's Explorer....scary.

Evil governors.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
In the taurus, about 100 MPH.

On the back of my dads motorcycle, 130 :blink:

-Damon

·
Registered
318 Posts
When my 1987 Sable (Vulcan) had about 10,000 miles on it, I decided to "open it up" once on the Interstate. It only had an 85 MPH speedo, but I knew that 2000 R/M on the tach was exactly 60 MPH. I gave the Sable its head and opened it up wide. I managed to wring 4200 R/M with the car in OD. That translated into ~126 MPH. The speedo needle was wrapped all the way around past the odometer... :eek:

I'm glad no cops were present, because I'd still be in jail in some remote central Illinois town.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I think the fastest I've ever gone was about 200 kph which is about 125 mph on the Autobahn in Germany. I was driving a Mercedes rental at the time and it only had a 2 liter engine so it didn't really have much more left in it.

Standard cruise speed was about 140-150 kph which is around 90ish or so. It was a real blast, go as fast as you want when you can and everyone moves out of your way. I was really annoyed when I got back to the US afterwards. Basically the rules of the road in Germany is that you stay right unless you're passing so as soon as you pass a car, you tuck back into the right lane, fly up to some car, then switch into the left lane, pass and then switch back. If you see someone faster coming up on you finish passing and then move back into the right lane.

So basically if you're flying down the road, everyone gets out of your way and you keep an eye out for anyone else behind you who might be flying down the road. Course the part that sucked was paying for gas, but renting a Mercedes wasn't that bad about $40 a day a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by SHO Continental@May 2 2004, 03:39 AM

I was just out for a night of fun.. when 3 out of my group suddenly had to depart, so it's just two in my 3.2 SHO.. ""It's a saturday night, why not have some fun?"" so we cruise around for a while.. no one wants to race us, whatever.. I remember there's this place about 45 minutes from where we are; a very raised railroad crossing, so why not jump it? .. see if we can get a little chirp as we go over it. So we take the scenic canyon drive instead of the freeway, and when we find the crossing among the busy streets we go for it: 45..55..65..70 then we go over the tracks.. and SMASH!!! we bottom the front end.. and my feet are numb. My only passenger says his back hurts.. I'm just thinking that I was going a little bit too fast, all I was trying to get was a chirp when we went over.. instead we got completely airborne for about a half a second and hurt the suspension.. Now I'm noticing that the car is vibrating a lot.. a whole lot, we stop, check under the car: no fluids. we check the suspension; it all looks good. We measure all the fluids; they're perfect. But the car is just shaking. ""OK I'm still an hour from home, it's 12:30AM, we better get going"" this time we go for the freeway. And as we hit the large hill we say.. why not test out the top speed. . (at this point I was just thinking the car was going to fall apart) we have it floored up the whole hill.. which lasts for about a mile, now the we're going 100MPH, then over the top, and now we're going 110, 115, 120, 122, 125, 127, 128. then we're coming up to a huge turn.. we slow to about 110, go around it, then slow to 60 and get off the freeway, that's it, we're done, and the car is going to be overhauled in the morning.
I-....Why-.....damn-....
Ah, forget it.
That SHO deserves a much more caring owner. Why even share (or even attempt) that stunt?
PLEASE sell that SHO (If it is salvagable) and buy a Honda or something. You don't deserve to drive that car. :angry:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by 99V8SHO+May 2 2004, 10:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (99V8SHO @ May 2 2004, 10:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SHO Continental@May 2 2004, 03:39 AM

I was just out for a night of fun.. when 3 out of my group suddenly had to depart, so it's just two in my 3.2 SHO.. ""It's a saturday night, why not have some fun?"" so we cruise around for a while.. no one wants to race us, whatever.. I remember there's this place about 45 minutes from where we are; a very raised railroad crossing, so why not jump it? .. see if we can get a little chirp as we go over it.  So we take the scenic canyon drive instead of the freeway, and when we find the crossing among the busy streets we go for it: 45..55..65..70 then we go over the tracks.. and SMASH!!! we bottom the front end.. and my feet are numb. My only passenger says his back hurts.. I'm just thinking that I was going a little bit too fast, all I was trying to get was a chirp when we went over.. instead we got completely airborne for about a half a second and hurt the suspension.. Now I'm noticing that the car is vibrating a lot.. a whole lot, we stop, check under the car: no fluids. we check the suspension; it all looks good. We measure all the fluids; they're perfect. But the car is just shaking. ""OK I'm still an hour from home, it's 12:30AM, we better get going"" this time we go for the freeway. And as we hit the large hill we say.. why not test out the top speed. . (at this point I was just thinking the car was going to fall apart) we have it floored up the whole hill.. which lasts for about a mile, now the we're going 100MPH, then over the top, and now we're going 110, 115, 120, 122, 125, 127, 128. then we're coming up to a huge turn.. we slow to about 110, go around it, then slow to 60 and get off the freeway, that's it, we're done, and the car is going to be overhauled in the morning.
I-....Why-.....damn-....
Ah, forget it.
That SHO deserves a much more caring owner. Why even share (or even attempt) that stunt?
PLEASE sell that SHO (If it is salvagable) and buy a Honda or something. You don't deserve to drive that car. :angry: [/b][/quote]
:p Make me.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.