Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Basically...make sure that you don't damage the wire or the boot. When you reinstall them, put a dab of dielectric grease on them.

JR

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Be careful when removing the plugs. They can crack. As for installation, do NOT over torque the plugs. They should go until they stop, then a sitxteenth of a rotation. Our plugs have seats on them; they are not tapered threads. When reattaching the plug wires, they should go on until they click.

BTW, do you need a set of plugs? I have a spare set of Motorcraft ASGF32FM plugs that only have about 3K in them. I went to colder copper plugs, and don't need these. I will sell them to you cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Also, be careful with the dielectric grease. I used it on the Vulcan, and some of it got up all over the terminals and gave me a rough idle 5000 miles later, after the grease baked dry. I wiped the dry residue off with alcohol and put the plug wires back in place and it smoothed out the idle. FWIW, I don't think you need the grease at all if you are using wires with silicone boots. They don't seem to stick to the insulator like the stock rubber ones do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts