Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking strongly at a 03 Taurus ses i had a 00 Taurus se what are the differance between the two only thing i can see is aluminum rims and cd player.. all so was there a big difference between the 00 vs the 03 model years

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can get some '03's with the ;04's front and rear end. The 2003 rear light also changed to a more square design. Some 2003's also have the 2004's interior, with a new steering wheel and computer telling you how many miles you have until 'E'. But then again, some 2003's are not changed from 2000, but some are. Its confusing LOL

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The SES model has antilock brakes and lighted visor mirrors over the SE models.

Have never heard of any 03's with an 04 interior........ or with the 04 front/rears..... :huh:

·
Registered
58 Posts
The SES model has antilock brakes and lighted visor mirrors over the SE models.

Have never heard of any 03's with an 04 interior........ or with the 04 front/rears..... :huh:
It's weird. A neighbor of mine has an '03, but with an '04 body-style. I can tell its an '03, because the rims are still circular, and not squared off, like the 2004. Its weird, and I don't know how Ford pulled that off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm pretty sure he was describing the changes from the 4G to the 4.5G. Not the trim kit. However I don't know any differences. I had an 03 SES. I liked it. It had a digital mileage and miles until E screen, Aluminum wheels, chrome interior door handles, spoiler, uuuhhh I can't really think of anything else.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The early 2004 models still came with the older 5 spokes.
They were changed about midyear when ford made the aluminum rims an option, not standard, on the SE.

Digital dash didn't start until 2004.
I know, I have an 03 and 04. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I hate how Ford screwed up all the sub-model designations starting in 98.... The bare bones should always be a L/G, A mid level should be a GL and the high end should be the LX!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The early 2004 models still came with the older 5 spokes.
They were changed about midyear when ford made the aluminum rims an option, not standard, on the SE.

Digital dash didn't start until 2004.
I know, I have an 03 and 04. :)
:werd: A number of the earlier built 2004 models received 2003 treatments as well, in the way of wheels and mirror caps.

It's easy to swap bumpers and lights.

Kaleb, you must have had an 04 man, the 03 didn't have a digital instrument cluster. Chrome door handles can be added by drilling out one rivet.

An ses added onto an se by way of in-dash CD, standard ABS, standard power seat, and folding rear seat. the folding rear seat was made an option on 04 ses's, but otherwise remained unchanged.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Whoa, I just realized that the Taurus and Ranger both got a redesigned cluster and wheel in 2004, and they both look suprisingly similar!

·
Registered
191 Posts
:werd: A number of the earlier built 2004 models received 2003 treatments as well, in the way of wheels and mirror caps.

Kaleb, you must have had an 04 man, the 03 didn't have a digital instrument cluster. Chrome door handles can be added by drilling out one rivet.

An ses added onto an se by way of in-dash CD, standard ABS, standard power seat, and folding rear seat. the folding rear seat was made an option on 04 ses's, but otherwise remained unchanged.
I have an '01 SE and it has all of the described stuff: in-dash CD, ABS, power drivers seat and adjustable pedals, folding rear seat. Also for some reason passenger side mirror has something looking like a flood light (but it does not work), where's driver side does not have it. Power mirrors work on both sides, but drivers side heating element does not work.

I think folding rear seat was not available only on LX.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
You must have had that mirror replaced.
It sounds like it has a puddle light that started on the 02 models. :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Tap the puddle light wiring in. There's a write up in Topic Finder :)

Try cleaning off the metal connections on the back of the mirror glass, scrape off the rust.

·
Registered
60 Posts

That's weird. Everything, even the manual, said it was 03. The dealer sold it as an 03. Only the mileage was digital. Obviously the rest of the gauges were analogue, just want to make that clear. And it was a Gen 4 as well. Had Gen 4 tailights. 03 - 04 would have been the switch between gen 4 and 4.5, right? I'm not saying youre wrong, but my car had to be an 03.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
I've seen 04 rebuilt Tauri with 00-22 front or rear ends for sale.
Maybe this is one???

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
IIRC, the mach audio system was also available on the SES, but not on the SE. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 00 se and it has everything listed from other posts....mach audio, cd changer in the console, spoiler, chrome door handles, and power drivers seat. the vin lists it as an se comfort, maybe that is the difference.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The 2000 SE Comfort is actually an SEL, but that badging wasn't started until late into the model year. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts