Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is another interesting question to ask, since we seem to be on the topic of all these "what is/what if" topics...

What is, by far, the coolest vehicle/car/truck/stationwagon/van/whatever that you've ever driven and is there any story behind it?

This ones a tough one for me, because I'm a valet and I get to drive practically everything (MAD Taurii LOL).

I have to say though, the coolest thing I got to drive so far, was a 1967 Buick Electra that DIDN'T EVEN VALET with us. The owner had just bought the low mileage beauty from a gas station repair shop and was planning on doing a full restoration, however it was in pretty immaculate shape anyway. He parked himself in the lot in the back, and was talking to us about the car while he was outside smoking a cigarette. We asked him if he'd like us to put it in the front for him (hoping to both get to drive it and possibly a tip :D ) and he said sure and tossed me the keys! I piloted this 2976 foot long behemoth up to the front after first taking it for a little ride around the parking lot to see it's "handling" HAHAHAH. Damn thing made a Crown Vic feel like a Honda FIT! I guess when you actually get tired of driving 745s, S550s, G37s, and whatever "luxo-douchemobiles" Staten Islanders feel like leasing that week, driving something that cool is really quite the experience.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got to drive a Challenger SRT to st. louis once :)

what a day that was, got it up to 130, he wouldnt let me go any faster hehe

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Here is my list of everything:

1997 Taurus
2000+ Taurus
2006 Ford Explorer
2008 Ford Edge
2001 Audi A6
2000+ Dodge Caravan (2 different ones)
2008 Jeep Liberty
2008 Dodge Caravan
1963 Ford Galaxie
1972 VW Beetle

That's it... so not much cool stuff there.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
my ranchero was probably the coolest then my old conversion van and my old truck coming as a close 2nd and 3rd i almost got to drive my sisters triumph tr-7 but her ex took it before i had the chance

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got to drive a Challenger SRT to st. louis once :)
and a lincoln zephyr

what a day that was, got it up to 130, he wouldnt let me go any faster hehe
[/b]
Oh yeah, my dad used to have a Blown 70' Mustang with a 460, drove it a lil

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
a jaguar x350.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
A 2006 Dodge Ram with the HEMI! :notworthy:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Psh my list consists of:

my 94 GL
moms old 00 caravan
moms 08 saturn outlook
dads 04 nissan altima
friends (00-05?) Monte Carlo

Carlo was nice, and i like my dad altima (mine after he gets a new one :)) It was raining so she asked me to bring the carlo up to the front of the store.

·
Registered
175 Posts
02 Jaguar S-Type R, Mini S, 02 Camaro Z28 with like 320ish rwhp
All of them were friends/friends parents cars for prom and such. They were all loads of fun.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Hmm, I've driven several, but I'd have to say theres a four way tie for "coolest" in my eyes:

My 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES. Absolute blast to drive, handles awesome, is perfectly fast enough for me, sounds sweet with the exhaust, etc.

My 1974 Dodge Dart. Its only a 318 V8 Auto car, but its got tons of torque and loves to smoke the tires. Nice to drive around in something a little different from your everyday car. Gets lots of looks while I cruise around town in it.

My grandfather's 1966 Chevy Nova SS. Its got a 396 under the hood with a shift-kitted auto. Totally a blast to drive, just really could use power steering. Gets tons of looks, as its totally frigin beautiful and worth over $35k.

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T. Brilliant Black with the Hemi and gray leather. One of only 2 R/Ts my local Dodge dealer ever got in, and I just had to test drive it. God did that thing have power, I totally loved it.
My next toy will be a Magnum, preferably an 07 with the Road and Track Package.

The rest of the cars I've driven are all more common.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I got to drive a brand new 2006 Chevrolet Corvette and a 2006 Hummer H2. It only cost me $10 at this event GM had in Vegas. I had to take a breathalyzer test, but whatever. I took the Hummer on a specially designed off-road track with 40 degree slopes. It was kind of scary driving sideways up the slopes thinking I was gonna tip over!

As for the Corvette, this is an interesting story. There was a line forming to drive a Corvette (there were several to choose from). The attendant asked me if I wanted Auto or Manual. I told him I wanted a Manual and he sent me to the front of the line! There was a trained professional riding shotgun to make sure people don't do anything stupid. He let me drop the clutch and take it up as fast as the track allowed (which was around 60 MPH because it was basically a parking lot outlined with cones).

Beyond that, I got to sit in a Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
My wagon for 2 days when the 455 and th-350 worked together like a watch. 7.5 liters hmmmmmm So easy to warp the speed-o back around to 10mph.

........It will be back with a rebuilt 307 and 200r4.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
2005 Ford GT. Luckily it's in the family, otherwise there's no way in HELL I'd ever be able to get my hands on one.

FYI, It's just as much fun as it looks.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I got to drive a brand new 2006 Chevrolet Corvette and a 2006 Hummer H2. It only cost me $10 at this event GM had in Vegas. I had to take a breathalyzer test, but whatever. I took the Hummer on a specially designed off-road track with 40 degree slopes. It was kind of scary driving sideways up the slopes thinking I was gonna tip over!

As for the Corvette, this is an interesting story. There was a line forming to drive a Corvette (there were several to choose from). The attendant asked me if I wanted Auto or Manual. I told him I wanted a Manual and he sent me to the front of the line! There was a trained professional riding shotgun to make sure people don't do anything stupid. He let me drop the clutch and take it up as fast as the track allowed (which was around 60 MPH because it was basically a parking lot outlined with cones).
[/b]
I did the same thing back in 2004. I got to drive a Z06 (manual), H2 (actually an EXTREMELY capable vehicle), GTO, CTS-V. But it was free, and we got free food, as well. Probably before GM started cutting back on stuff. Oh yeah, and I also got to drive a dually F-350 on an autocross course at that event. I also think they had a GMC pickup with the Quadra-steer system. Can't remember, though.

The coolest thing I've ever driven was this:

[attachmentid=28392]

My father-in-law's 1986 Camaro Z28. It's been completely restored. It's got a 454 big block from a 1970 Corvette, which was bored over to 460. Hooker headers straight to glasspacks. Heavily worked 700R4 transmission with electronic OD. Ford 9" rear with 3.93 gears and 33 spline custom axles.

He recently had it dyno'd, and it put 500 HP to the rear wheels and 560 lb/ft of torque.

I got to drive it to a show down in Delaware, his first since completing the project, and he won 1st in the "Third Generation Modified" division. We're hitting a few more Camaro shows this year, too. He's got more goodies that he's been working on all winter.

There was also one of these down there, but I just got to gawk at it...

[attachmentid=28393]

JR

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts