Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put 30 tint all around my car (cept windshield) and I was wondering the best way to do it and how much it'll cost. I prolly wont do it my self, so i was wondering how much some of you paid to have it done. I was also wondering if the sheets of tinting are the only way to go or is there a way to go that might last longer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Draconix@Mar 1 2004, 11:15 PM
I want to put 30 tint all around my car (cept windshield) and I was wondering the best way to do it and how much it'll cost. I prolly wont do it my self, so i was wondering how much some of you paid to have it done. I was also wondering if the sheets of tinting are the only way to go or is there a way to go that might last longer.
Be careful, if the state law is 35%, and you get pulled over with 35%, you may still get a ticket. The reason? Our cars are tinted slightly from the factory, and alont with your 35% tint, it may throw off the reading on the cops lightmeter. It happened to a buddy of mine in his car.

$250 fine is not cheap.

-Damon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by duratecchie@Mar 1 2004, 08:47 PM
Be careful, if the state law is 35%, and you get pulled over with 35%, you may still get a ticket. The reason? Our cars are tinted slightly from the factory, and alont with your 35% tint, it may throw off the reading on the cops lightmeter. It happened to a buddy of mine in his car.

$250 fine is not cheap.

-Damon
its 27% all around in CO, so i think i'm good...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,619 Posts
i planed on doing mine myself.. 20 minutes into the job i gave up and took it in. cost $253 with life time warrenty. got 20% in front and 5% limo in back. in mi anything in front is illegal. so 3 $90 tint tickets later, i took the tint off the front 2 windows. now it looks stupid.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
233 Posts
I paid 180 for my car to get done and they used llumar flim with a life time warranty on all windows but the 2 fronts since the 2 fronts are illegal in ca. L8tr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I paid about 250 for mine....

18% on the front two
two layers of 18% in the rear (that makes it about 3%)
and 18% on the eyebrow
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
42 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Mar 2 2004, 03:50 AM
i planed on doing mine myself.. 20 minutes into the job i gave up and took it in. cost $253 with life time warrenty. got 20% in front and 5% limo in back. in mi anything in front is illegal. so 3 $90 tint tickets later, i took the tint off the front 2 windows. now it looks stupid.
yeah ive been meaning to retint my front windows......as per sig below


No tickets...just a warning.....so i took the front off.....but mine is 20% so i was probably Beggin for a ticket
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all, that helps a lot...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
i paid $178.00 including tax, with lifetime warranty, was also lumar or llumar tint! with 29.5 in front because of factory tint and 14.5 in back and back window have had one warning and a ticket got a doctors note and got out of ticket!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I'm looking into tint, but I'm not sure how dark I want. I don't want the rears extremely dark cuz I wanna be able to see out at night. I don't think there's any point in tinting the fronts cuz IA law is 70%. Do tint shops have samples of different shades? (I don't have any in my area, so I'd have to do some driving to get it done)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
Yes, tint shops will have different shades available for you to see.

70%!!! I don't think I've ever seen anything that light before. It seems like it might not even be worth the cost because I imagine 70% would be extremely light, and barely have any aesthetic value to it. Is the limit just 70% on the fronts, or all the way around?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
didnt someone post a website once that had all the state laws on tint?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0@Apr 13 2004, 07:19 PM
70%!!! I don't think I've ever seen anything that light before. It seems like it might not even be worth the cost because I imagine 70% would be extremely light, and barely have any aesthetic value to it. Is the limit just 70% on the fronts, or all the way around?
Yes, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having 70% tint either, so you would think that it would be easier to make the law say no tint. But the 70% is only in the front, there's no limit for the rear.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
WOW All of you are overcharged. Out here in Fresno, Ca the going rate is $130 for tinting the three rear windows. Im getting mine done for $120!! LOL Eh, oh well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
I just got a quote from a local car audio and accessory shop...

150 dollars to tint my car

I, as Detroit_Raver am from Michigan...

I am going with really light tint,...40% and im hoping nobody will bother me.. i dont want to spend 150 dollars to rip the two front windows tint off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
New York State is 70% light transmitence per the Vehicle and Traffic Code. I haven't read the law in while, but I think thats for the driver/passenger front windows and upper 6 inhes of the windshield. And I think back windows are anything goes as long as there is a side mirror on both sides of the vehicle.

As I thought....From NYS DMV website:

"Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

If a medical condition requires a person to have tinted vehicle windows, they can request an exemption from the law.
"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I feel so sorry for all of you because in N.C. - S.C. I have been riding around for 6 years with 4% all the way around and a 10" stripe on the front windsheildwith no problems...matter of fact I have had a feeeeew "nice looking taurus" from cops and state troopers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
i paid 180 for the whole car minus the windshield and he tinted behind the brake light in the window instead of cutting around it!!!! lifetime warranty ...MR. Tint Columbus, Ohio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
821 Posts
ryanqzqz,

Thanks for the Tint Law page and welcome to the club.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top