Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I bought a 96 taurus gl with about 95k on it, to replace my 97 taurus gl with over 200k on it. When I sold the old one, the rockers under the rear doors were so far gone that it took heavy zip ties to hold the plastic rocker covers on. On this lower mileage replacement, I'd like to prevent this happening, now that I know it's a known tendency. Obviously, washing off salt, and undercarriage wash will help - but does anyone know the best way to head this off?

thanks

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Hi all,

I bought a 96 taurus gl with about 95k on it, to replace my 97 taurus gl with over 200k on it. When I sold the old one, the rockers under the rear doors were so far gone that it took heavy zip ties to hold the plastic rocker covers on. On this lower mileage replacement, I'd like to prevent this happening, now that I know it's a known tendency. Obviously, washing off salt, and undercarriage wash will help - but does anyone know the best way to head this off?

thanks
Pic: I filled mine '01 with aerosol foam allowing the excess to come out the holes. Trimmed the excess with a putty knife heated with propane torch. Where there was no bottom as in this pic, I used wood covered with foam mat covered with plastic to contain the bottom. Bit of overkill in the pic. Sold the car but I see it from time to time, 4 years in the serious rust belt and the covers are still in place. I used decking screws with washers on the head to hold the covers onto the foam. It made the car much quieter as to road noise. Also pic of what I had to start with.

-chart-

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
96_Taurus_GL
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing