Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be driving from Detroit to Minneapolis in a couple weeks. Google Maps says the way to go is to take I-94 through Portage, IN and then take I-90 through Chicago... The only problem with this is that I-90 is a toll road.

I have no idea how that works or how much it costs... can someone explain that to me?

Also, is there an alternate way that I could go and not have to pay any tolls? (without the distance being too far)

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
When I drove WI to PA and back, I went out of my way to avoid Chicago. Go south around Chicago, and hit 51/35 north. Can't remember the East West Road I took to get around or the North south (45?) East of Chicago I took.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Get an IPass or whatever Michigan uses and take I 294 around the west side. The tolls are cheaper and you don't have to stop.

Of course this all depends on the time of day. Night or noon is best.

·
Registered
332 Posts
use the option of "Avoid toll" in google maps, and it will get you the map without tolls.
else use gps, and select the option of without toll.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
If I am not mistaken.... I90 tolls are $.50 for IPass/Ezpass users, and $1.00 for Non-Ipass/Ezpass users.

My suggestion if you can, drive though Chicago at night, around 11 PM to no later than 5 AM. This way you avoid all the traffic Chicago has. Can't guarantee there will be a little traffic at night, but it'll be worse during the day :p

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Based on my numerous experiences as a non-Chicagoan driving through Chicago (3-4 times) and hitting rush hour (morning or afternoon doesn't matter) expect to spend 3 or 4 hours getting through Chicago. The construction traffic on that run by the lake is/was absolute Hell. Go south around Chicago. Do not try and take that North route through Chicago.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Might want to take I80 to I39 and then up north. This will avoid almost all tolls and Chicago messes.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,404 Posts
You could go north, up I-75 non stop to the bridge..then across into the UP. Then take US 2 into Duluth, Minnesota then take I-35 south into Minneapolis..I'll bet you wouldn't see much construction or traffic jams the whole way! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Could always take 94W to Muskegon to the Ferry to Milwaukee then to Minneapolis.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jul 7 2009, 01:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737694
Get an IPass or whatever Michigan uses and take I 294 around the west side. The tolls are cheaper and you don't have to stop.

Of course this all depends on the time of day. Night or noon is best.[/b]
:werd:

Illinois IS a toll road. :p A (whatever)Pass is seriously the best thing you can have for driving through there.

It's not really that bad - I drive through there fairly often (I have family in WI). Just try to avoid rush hour...there will always be a decent amount of traffic, but off peak it keeps rolling along fine.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ferry is a definite no. I can't afford it. It's a lot more expensive than just spending money on gasoline. The cost just for one vehicle round-trip, is almost as much as I will spend on gas for the whole trip, not including my personal fare.

I might end up going through the UP... to behonest, I kindof wanted to see the Chicago area since I haven't been there since I was little and I thought going North would take a lot longer.

If I go through Chicago though, I will either get stuck in traffic or go out of my way to avoid Chicago (and if I do that it's only about 20 miles longer to just go through the UP.)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Although, avoiding Chicago vs. going through the UP...

Going through the UP, it is all just highway, where if I go South, it will all be expressway.

Google maps estimates a 12 vs. 13 hour trip, respectively. Even though there is only a 17 mile difference.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I've done the going-out-of-the-way-to-miss-Chicago thing...it usually takes just as long as just plowing straight through. Make sure you get a hold of an EZPass/iPass/iZoom/whatever to go through the high speed toll lanes - it saves a ridiculous amount of time.

I know you can buy them at some rest stops in PA out of vending machines...I don't know if you can in the states you're going through since I already have one, but I'd imagine you could pick one up on the way.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I know EZ-Pass worked in Mass and stuff, not sure if it works elsewhere or if its only a NY thing, but the only thing Im getting at - your spending alot of money in gas, what is an extra 2 or 3 dollars? If you save 20 miles by plowing through Chicago, the toll road already paid for itself in gas.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But if I go straight through Chicago... I wonder how much Traffic I will hit.... :dunno: I will be driving through probably around 6-9ish at night. (time-fail)

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,404 Posts
QUOTE (Sean T. @ Jul 10 2009, 10:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738598
But if I go straight through Chicago... I wonder how much Traffic I will hit.... :dunno: I will be driving through probably around 6-9ish at night. (time-fail)[/b]
Probably not too bad..you could take the toll road ( I-80) at Burns Harbor or whever it crosses I-90 and go that way I think about $4.00 should cover the tolls on the IN turnpike ( most are just change toss), from that entrance to the Skyway. The skyway is 3.50 and that is the last toll then you can take that right to the Dan Ryan Expy. Then just stay in the express lanes (if you see a jam ahead, just jump to the local side till you are past the jam then jump back to the express side) all the way thru Chicago to I think the Edens Expy(free) north to the WI. border

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would avoid the Dan Ryan at all cost. Take I 80 to I 294 to I 90. Or I 80 to I 39 no tolls.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I made it past Chicago! I took I-80 west to I-355 north. Holy freaking 6.00 in tolls!!!! And I'm not done with the toll road yet. I am spending the night in a hotel in Elgin, IL.

I know everything will be alright because the guy at the front desk looks just like Dave. Except maybe if his great grandfather was from India.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you go into Chicago, do it at night, that is how to avoid traffic! I90 you stop about every 10 miles or so for trolls (tolls). Watch your speed on I90, and watch out for police-that last time I was there, I almost had a stupid cop crash into the side of me just north of downtown.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts