Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I greatly apologize if I am posting someting that has already been addressed, however I am really in need of your help and advice with trying to determine what the front end problem might be with my Taurus.

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus Sedan (owned from new) with approx. 106,000 miles. I have just had 4 new Monroe Quick Struts installed, both sets of Tie Rods (2 inner and 2 outer Moog) installed, both Ball Joints (Moog) installed, all Sway Bar Endlinks (front & rear Moog) installed, 4 new Tires installed within the past 3 weeks. With all of that having been done, I am still getting an annoying pronounced Clunking Noise & Thud when driving over a rough surface and a louder clunk & thud when I go over a speed bump or go down into dip in the road. This noise & thud was equally as pronounced before having all of the above items replaced. Please know that none of the above items were installed to prevent the noise. The work was done because I am an enthusiast who likes to keep his 8 year old car running like new.

I have had the front end of the car thoroughly inspected by two Ford Dealerships and they both hear the noise & thud too, but they cannot figure it out. They swear up and down that the CV Half Shafts, CV Joints, Lower Control Arms, Engine Mounts, Torque Strut Mount and Transmission Mount are in great shape. All body parts are tight and the car has never been in an accident.

It sounds like the clunking & thud noise is coming from the Passenger Side Wheelwell area. I am about to replace the Front Sway Bar Bushings and the Front Subframe Bushings within the next 3 days with hopes that this will resolve the issue.

If this final attempt does not eleviate the noise then I don't know what else to do or revisit. Your help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (mudknot840 @ May 29 2009, 05:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728911
I Had The Same Problem Ended Up Being My Motor Mounts, But If The Dealership Says There Good Then IDK[/b]
This is definetely something worth exploring. Motor Mounts, Transmission Mount & Torque Strut Mount are all relatively inexpensive at RockAuto.com. If the Front Subframe Bushings & Front Sway Bar Bushings are unsuccessful in getting rid of this noise, then I will definately try installing the mounts. After all, what is the worst thing that can happen? The noise remains, but I will not have to worry about when the mounts are going to need replacement. Thank you very much for the feedback.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ May 29 2009, 03:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728897
my first guess would be subframe bushings.[/b]
Thank you very much for your feedback. I will keep my fingures crossed that the Front Subframe Bushings and the Front Sway Bar Bushings can do the trick. If it doesn't, then I will try the Mounts (motor, torque strut & transmission). If that does not work, then I will through in the towel and just wait until it gets worse. Who knows, maybe by that point the problem might show its ugly head eventually and eliminate all of the guesing. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Don't buy any aftermarket motor mounts...they are junk. If you have a junkyard near you...grab some rear subframe bushings from a 96 or newer Taurus. Put those up front.

Have you performed the motor mount test?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 29 2009, 06:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728917
Don't buy any aftermarket motor mounts...they are junk. If you have a junkyard near you...grab some rear subframe bushings from a 96 or newer Taurus. Put those up front.

Have you performed the motor mount test?[/b]
Thank you very much for that advice. I will definately check with my local junkyards and grab some rear subframe bushings from a 96 or newer Taurus and put those up front instead.

In answering your question, no I have not personally did the test (primarily because I am not sure how to) but one of the technicians at the 2nd Ford Dealer said that he did (per write up) a motor mount test and there was no issues with any of the mounts. However, how much can you really trust dealerships?

I would be very grateful if you would be so kind as to share some tips with me on how to do the best possible motor mount test. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (keibie40 @ May 29 2009, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728933
Thank you very much for that advice. I will definately check with my local junkyards and grab some rear subframe bushings from a 96 or newer Taurus and put those up front instead.

In answering your question, no I have not personally did the test (primarily because I am not sure how to) but one of the technicians at the 2nd Ford Dealer said that he did (per write up) a motor mount test and there was no issues with any of the mounts. However, how much can you really trust dealerships?

I would be very grateful if you would be so kind as to share some tips with me on how to do the best possible motor mount test. Thanks.[/b]
Here is what TCCA member spridget suggested to me when I was doing a check on mine:

Simplest way to check engine mounts... have a friend sit in the driver's seat while you watch the engine. Apply the parking brake, start engine, with foot on the brake, shift to Drive. Watch for excessive movement of the drivetrain. Have the friend give a little gas... maybe up to 2000-2500rpm, then let off. Watch for excessive movement. Shift back and forth, from D to N to R and back... a couple times.

I realize you may not know what "excessive movement" looks like if you've never done this before. The engine should not move back or forth more than just a wiggle. If the drivetrain moves an inch or more in either direction, chances are one or more of the drivetrain mounts is bad.

You can visually inspect the mounts too. There are 3 mounts, 1 on the transmission, 2 on the engine. I believe all the Duratecs got hydraulic mounts, so if you see any fluid leaking out of a mount, it's dead. The front engine mount and the transmission mount are hydraulic, the rear engine mount is not. Check for cracks in the rubber of the rear mount.

I'd suspect the rear engine mount is the most likely to fail, on all models.[/b]
Even though you have a Vulcan it should be quite similar. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Why just the front subframe bushings? On mine the rears were the worst.

No more clunking now ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 29 2009, 10:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728944
QUOTE (keibie40 @ May 29 2009, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728933

I would be very grateful if you would be so kind as to share some tips with me on how to do the best possible motor mount test. Thanks.[/b]
Here is what TCCA member spridget suggested to me when I was doing a check on mine:

Simplest way to check engine mounts... have a friend sit in the driver's seat while you watch the engine. Apply the parking brake, start engine, with foot on the brake, shift to Drive. Watch for excessive movement of the drivetrain. Have the friend give a little gas... maybe up to 2000-2500rpm, then let off. Watch for excessive movement. Shift back and forth, from D to N to R and back... a couple times.

I realize you may not know what "excessive movement" looks like if you've never done this before. The engine should not move back or forth more than just a wiggle. If the drivetrain moves an inch or more in either direction, chances are one or more of the drivetrain mounts is bad.

You can visually inspect the mounts too. There are 3 mounts, 1 on the transmission, 2 on the engine. I believe all the Duratecs got hydraulic mounts, so if you see any fluid leaking out of a mount, it's dead. The front engine mount and the transmission mount are hydraulic, the rear engine mount is not. Check for cracks in the rubber of the rear mount.

I'd suspect the rear engine mount is the most likely to fail, on all models.[/b]
Even though you have a Vulcan it should be quite similar. :)
[/b][/quote]

Wow. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I will do exactly as you have so kindly instructed. I will give feedback as soon as I am done with this test. Yes, I do have the Flex Fuel Vulcan, so the test should work the same. Thanks again I will gladly share the results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (mt_goat @ May 30 2009, 08:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728992

No more clunking now ;)[/b]
Ouch, they really look worn out. I was successful with getting the Rear Subframe Bushings off of a 1998 Taurus Sedan from my local junkyard, and lthey ook okay (but I am certainly am no expert). They seem to be in much better shape than what you have shown me. To play it safe, I also purchased a New Pair of Dorman Front Subframe Bushings. The car is with my personal mechanic this morning ( a new set of eyes), and if the used bushings are truly in great shape (by his opinion) he will install them instead of the new ones. If not, he will install the new ones. He is also installing a new pair of Front Sway Bar Bushings at the same time. Hopefully this eliminates the annoying clunking noise. If not, I have instructed him and his assistant to do the motor mount test. I will glady share the results of all of this experimental trial and error. Thank you very much for your thorough ilustration and feedback.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (keibie40 @ Jun 1 2009, 09:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729397
QUOTE (mt_goat @ May 30 2009, 08:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728992

No more clunking now ;)[/b]
Ouch, they really look worn out. I was successful with getting the Rear Subframe Bushings off of a 1998 Taurus Sedan from my local junkyard, and lthey ook okay (but I am certainly am no expert). They seem to be in much better shape than what you have shown me. To play it safe, I also purchased a New Pair of Dorman Front Subframe Bushings. The car is with my personal mechanic this morning ( a new set of eyes), and if the used bushings are truly in great shape (by his opinion) he will install them instead of the new ones. If not, he will install the new ones. He is also installing a new pair of Front Sway Bar Bushings at the same time. Hopefully this eliminates the annoying clunking noise. If not, I have instructed him and his assistant to do the motor mount test. I will glady share the results of all of this experimental trial and error. Thank you very much for your thorough ilustration and feedback.
[/b][/quote]

Here is the latest update. My personal mechanic tried the 1998 Rear Bushings up front and he said that there was no change in the clunking noise. He took them off and installed the new Dorman Subframe Bushings and the clunking noise was reduced but still there, just not as pronounced. Unfortunately the Front Sway Bar Bushings from RockAuto were the wrong size (returning), so needless to say he was unable to replace them (I ordered the 19MM and I received the 25MM). He did notice some dry rot on the Front Sway Bar Bushings and suggested that I try to get the correct size this time so that he can give those a try. He also performed the Motor Mount test and he said that there was no movement. We will hold off on digging more into the motor mounts, until we replace the Front Sway Bar Bushings. Just for giggles, I will also replace Rear Sway Bar Bushings, because they are easy enough that I can do them myself. I will let you guys know how that goes. I will be buying the new Sway Bar Bushings from SHO Source this time, with the hopes that these will be the correct size. Thanks again to everyone for trying to help me solve this mystery.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would check those strut plates, they're also a common noise maker up front, mine on the pass side makes some noise, but I can live with it until I really need new struts. I'm not a fan of Monroe struts, as I've had problems with them in the past on other cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (austex04 @ Jun 2 2009, 03:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729609
I would check those strut plates, they're also a common noise maker up front, mine on the pass side makes some noise, but I can live with it until I really need new struts. I'm not a fan of Monroe struts, as I've had problems with them in the past on other cars.[/b]

Thanks for the input. I am not a fan of Monroe either. Personally I prefer KYB because of great prior performance. However, due to cost constraints I decided to go with these. The Clunk was there before I installed the new Monroe Quick Struts, that is one reason why I am puzzled.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (keibie40 @ Jun 2 2009, 10:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729661
I would check those strut plates, they're also a common noise maker up front, mine on the pass side makes some noise, but I can live with it until I really need new struts. I'm not a fan of Monroe struts, as I've had problems with them in the past on other cars.[/b]

Thanks for the input. I am not a fan of Monroe either. Personally I prefer KYB because of great prior performance. However, due to cost constraints I decided to go with these. The Clunk was there before I installed the new Monroe Quick Struts, that is one reason why I am puzzled.
[/b][/quote]

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Here is a recap of my mystery as of March 2009 through current. The Front End Clunking Noise was also accompanied by a consistant Thud which could be felt in the front floorboard while driving over rough surfaces or significant bumps. I automatically assumed (not a good thing) that these equated to a single problem rather than probably being two separate problems. The annoying Clunk and the accompanying Annoying Thud existed before I did all of the Front End Work. Recap of where I am so far. After not being completely satisfied with yesterday's results, I decided to get another Independant Auto Repair Facility's opinion (they came highly recommended by my staff) yesterday afternoon. He took me underneathe my car to show me what was NOT wrong with my Front End. We both agreed (after reviewing them closely and we both pulled & pushed on the sway bars violently) that the Front & Rear Sway Bar Bushings definately did not seem to be in need of replacement, as previously indicated by my personal mechanic yesterday morning. He also did the motor mount test with me looking on as it was being done. We both noticed no movement. He also had me look on as every component was checked for proper tightness and torque, to ensure that nothing was loose. We took it for a test drive afterwards and he confirmed that he still heard and felt a definate Thud coming from the Front Passenger Wheel well Area but no Clunk sound (which he felt was remedied by the replacemnt of the Front Subframe Bushings yesterday morning). The only thing that he could suggest (without being 100% certain), eventhough there was no physical play that we could recreate by hand, it is a possiblity that the lower control arm bushings (after 2000 plus pounds of vehicle weight is pushing down on the lower control arms). I was advised to live with the Thud for now until it gets much worse. At that time we might be able to better determine what the actual problem is. I am not happy about having to tolerate this annoying Thud for much longer, however it is definately financially prudent that I not continue to throw money at this issue until we can truly determine what the problem really is. Please continue to send me your valuable suggestions so that I can share them with the new technician. Your continued suggestions could possibly help us solve this mysterious issue much sooner. Thank you very much, everyone, for your past and continued advice and support. You have been fantastic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (keibie40 @ Jun 2 2009, 10:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729669

[/b][/quote]

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Here is a recap of my mystery as of March 2009 through current. The Front End Clunking Noise was also accompanied by a consistant Thud which could be felt in the front floorboard while driving over rough surfaces or significant bumps. I automatically assumed (not a good thing) that these equated to a single problem rather than probably being two separate problems. The annoying Clunk and the accompanying Annoying Thud existed before I did all of the Front End Work. Recap of where I am so far. After not being completely satisfied with yesterday's results, I decided to get another Independant Auto Repair Facility's opinion (they came highly recommended by my staff) yesterday afternoon. He took me underneathe my car to show me what was NOT wrong with my Front End. We both agreed (after reviewing them closely and we both pulled & pushed on the sway bars violently) that the Front & Rear Sway Bar Bushings definately did not seem to be in need of replacement, as previously indicated by my personal mechanic yesterday morning. He also did the motor mount test with me looking on as it was being done. We both noticed no movement. He also had me look on as every component was checked for proper tightness and torque, to ensure that nothing was loose. We took it for a test drive afterwards and he confirmed that he still heard and felt a definate Thud coming from the Front Passenger Wheel well Area but no Clunk sound (which he felt was remedied by the replacemnt of the Front Subframe Bushings yesterday morning). The only thing that he could suggest (without being 100% certain), eventhough there was no physical play that we could recreate by hand, it is a possiblity that the lower control arm bushings (after 2000 plus pounds of vehicle weight is pushing down on the lower control arms). I was advised to live with the Thud for now until it gets much worse. At that time we might be able to better determine what the actual problem is. I am not happy about having to tolerate this annoying Thud for much longer, however it is definately financially prudent that I not continue to throw money at this issue until we can truly determine what the problem really is. Please continue to send me your valuable suggestions so that I can share them with the new technician. Your continued suggestions could possibly help us solve this mysterious issue much sooner. Thank you very much, everyone, for your past and continued advice and support. You have been fantastic.
[/b][/quote]

I have one question, if anyone can help me find the answer to. Yes I am like a child at Christmas time. I can't control my impulses to not wait for the intolerable annoying Thud to get any worse. Would anyone have any idea or instructions of how I could replace the Front Sway Bar Bushings and the Rear Sway Bushings myself? I have found detailed instructions for a 1997 on this website, but I am of the understanding that the 2001 Front Sway Bushings are a completely different animal than the GEN 3. Any & all instructions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts

[/b][/quote]

Good Morning Gentlemen,

[/b][/quote]

Here is what I found to be a clunking noise ...believe it or not, I've chased this clunking noise also...not a rattle but a clunk. The brake pads are loose in the calipers from wear on the brackets that hold them I recently had installed 4 new rotors and (Wagner Thermo Quiet) pads. Shortly after the pad and rotor change the noise started. Sounded like something was broken the clunk was so loud. If the noise somewhat or totally diisapears when you apply the brakes while hitting that bump that would aways do it, you found the source, especially after all you've tried. I simply bought the disc brake anti rattle goo from napa and just for the heck of it applied it on the outer pad with the wheel still on. Voila....noise is gone. I never thought pads would make that much noise I'll do the inner pads when I rotate the tires. FYI my car has 196,000 mile on it and does a 150 mile round trip mileage every day to and from work. Hence the wear on the bracket that the brake pads fit into.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (toml @ Jun 2 2009, 04:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729736

[/b][/quote]

Good Morning Gentlemen,

[/b][/quote]

Here is what I found to be a clunking noise ...believe it or not, I've chased this clunking noise also...not a rattle but a clunk. The brake pads are loose in the calipers from wear on the brackets that hold them I recently had installed 4 new rotors and (Wagner Thermo Quiet) pads. Shortly after the pad and rotor change the noise started. Sounded like something was broken the clunk was so loud. If the noise somewhat or totally diisapears when you apply the brakes while hitting that bump that would aways do it, you found the source, especially after all you've tried. I simply bought the disc brake anti rattle goo from napa and just for the heck of it applied it on the outer pad with the wheel still on. Voila....noise is gone. I never thought pads would make that much noise I'll do the inner pads when I rotate the tires. FYI my car has 196,000 mile on it and does a 150 mile round trip mileage every day to and from work. Hence the wear on the bracket that the brake pads fit into.
[/b][/quote]

As simple as it sounds, your remedy could possibly work for me as well. Coincidently I also, now that I think back, seem to recall that this noise started a few months after I had new Wagner Thermo Quiet Pads and Wagner Rotors installed up front. I would have never put two & two together until you just brought this to my attention. I will go out and purchase some Disc Brake Anti Rattle Goo and give it a try. Thank you so very much for sharing your experience and giving your advice. I will definately let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (keibie40 @ Jun 2 2009, 04:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729737

[/b][/quote]

Good Morning Gentlemen,

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

As simple as it sounds, your remedy could possibly work for me as well. Coincidently I also, now that I think back, seem to recall that this noise started a few months after I had new Wagner Thermo Quiet Pads and Wagner Rotors installed up front. I would have never put two & two together until you just brought this to my attention. I will go out and purchase some Disc Brake Anti Rattle Goo and give it a try. Thank you so very much for sharing your experience and giving your advice. I will definately let you know how it goes.
[/b][/quote]
Just put the goo where the pad touches the caliper on the inner parts of the caliper, the outer bracket or caliper bracket itself does not move with the pad so if you put it there it effectively would be gluing the pad to a part that does not move. This is not what you want to do.
It took me all of 5 miniutes to do all four wheels. You can do it with the brakes hot....it'll set up faster.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (toml @ Jun 2 2009, 05:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729741
QUOTE (keibie40 @ Jun 2 2009, 04:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729737

[/b][/quote]

Good Morning Gentlemen,

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Just put the goo where the pad touches the caliper on the inner parts of the caliper, the outer bracket or caliper bracket itself does not move with the pad so if you put it there it effectively would be gluing the pad to a part that does not move. This is not what you want to do.
It took me all of 5 miniutes to do all four wheels. You can do it with the brakes hot....it'll set up faster.
[/b][/quote]

Thank you for the detailed instructions. At least now I will not mess up a good opportunity to possibly solve my problem. Have a pleasant evening my friend.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts