Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok! For all you genius car audio nuts... WHATS GOOD!

I keep hearing RF, JL Audio, Eclispe, Audiobahn... bah bah blah

What i Want.....

Nice Deck - Mp3 Capable - XM Radio NOT needed - DVD Not Needed (Just Audio)
What Do YOU Suggest?

6 1/2" Door Speakers - Kick Panels? Crossovers? component set?
What Do YOU Suggest?

5x7" Rear Speakers - Make? Wattage? Amp for them?
What Do YOU Suggest?

Subs!! What Size? Wattage? How many? What size amp?

Im wiing to spend about..

500 Headunit, 250 for Doors or 400-500 if component set
250 - 350 for 5x7's
250 - 500 for each amp.. (I need 2 right? subs and then interior speakers?)
I Know that subs are expensive.. but what do you suggest?
1 or 2?? 10, 12, 15 Inch?
what size amp? what size cap? optima battery?

Thanks for any and all suggestions
Bill

·
Registered
52 Posts
my opinion only,
Head unit - Sony CDX-F7000 (has cool display + pwr. & quality)

6 1/2 - $199.99 Polk Audio db6500 (component with x-over = good response & quality)

5x7's - $99.99 Polk db570 (again quality, No external amp needed. use your head unit)

Sub - (For Maximum Thump) - 1 15" $179.99 Rockford Fosgate P215S4 in Large ported box.

(For Maximum Quality) - 1 or 2 10" $179.99 (each) Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 in sealed box.

Amp - for the 1 15" i suggested i would go with the $249.99 Rockford Fosgate Punch P3002 with the amp bridged

- for the 10" quality setup, i would go with the $199.99 Alpine MRP-M350 w/ 2 subs wired together or if u went with 1 10" just wire amp to it.

It all depends on what you are looking for.
Remember dont go with low quality, low price equipment.. trust me.. u get what you pay for.
hope this helps u out.. remember its just what i would use if i could chose and money was not a factor.. but i think all of these are well in your price range.

·
Registered
52 Posts
cancel the head unit i told you
you wanted mp3 player huh..
well here you go dude.
Sony CDX-F7705X priced at $289.99

all you need for ur music desires :)

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Pioneer DEHP8400MP, it has all the features you want plus looks great. It sells for around $499.00 retail, but you could find it cheaper. If you are not going to amplify any of the door or rear deack speakers stay away from componets. I would suggest the Pioneer TSA6870Rs in all the holes. They sound as good as any speaker that will be mentioned in this thread and they are affordable. If you are going to amp everything then I would go with the Pioneer TSC130R REV series componets and the TSD680R REV series 6x8's in the rear deck. Here is what I am currently using:

Pioneer AVICN1(head unit) $1999.00

Pioneer TSC130R(5 1/4" componets) $260.00

Pioneer TSD680R(6x8) $180.00

(2) Pioneer GM5000T(760max power Amps) $149.00 each

(1) Pioneer GMD510M(1000max power Mono block amp) $299.00

(1) Pioneer TSW305DVC(800max power handling 12" dvc sub) $109.00

Now keep in mind that I rep Pioneer, so I am being bias. All the prices I listed are retail and you know they can be found cheaper, but that is a "worst case scenairo" price. And before anyone bashes Pioneer speakers, and I know someone will feel the need, keep in mind that they build a lot of the speakers for companies that people swear are the best around.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I hate sony head units. All the units that I've seen have broken in some way shape or form, especially the motorized units.

I personally really like Panasonic and Clarion for head units. I have the Panasonic MXE-CQ983U, which is last years model, but it has been updated for this year. I got it for $250 on eBay, normally sold for about $360 on www.crutchfield.com.

For speakers, I've had great luck with Audiobahn and Infinity components. I think Audiobahns make THE best affordable subs. From what I've heard, you can't beat them for sound and clarity. For my setup, I wasn't looking to go really loud, I just wanted full frequency range and very good quality, so I chose an Inifinity Reference 12" in a ported box. The ported box allows you to get crisper sound at higher SPLs with lower wattage.

JR

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys!! I really appreciate the info =]

makes for a great starting point for me =]

now alls i gotta do is start buying them a piece at a time.

heh.. 12vrep.. this one "Pioneer AVICN1(head unit) $1999.00" IS beautiful!! and id would LOVE to have it.. but its juuuuuuuuust a bit outside my range!!
the Pioneer DEHP8400MP looks sweet =]

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by Crispy28@May 10 2004, 10:10 AM
thanks guys!! I really appreciate the info =]

makes for a great starting point for me =]

now alls i gotta do is start buying them a piece at a time.

heh.. 12vrep.. this one "Pioneer AVICN1(head unit) $1999.00" IS beautiful!! and id would LOVE to have it.. but its juuuuuuuuust a bit outside my range!!
the Pioneer DEHP8400MP looks sweet =]
If I ever take the AVICN1 out I will be putting the 8400MP in. I just love that radio. And to see it online or in a catalog does not do it justice, you have to see it in person.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Sony doesnt make many good products in the car audio arena.

Rockford Fosgate and Audiobahn are "good" if you only know what is mainstream.

Speakers: CDT Audio CL61 component set. Two 6 1/2" woofers and two 1" tweeters for $150 at thezeb.com, prolly the best deal around right now.

Headunit: Clarion works, especially if u plan on getting an external amp for your speakers, since many clarion heads dont have an internal amp. Pioneer is good, alpine is good, jvc is improving, Nakamichi is good. All those companies have something in ur price range.

Amps: Most companies make amps that will fit both ur needs. US Acoustics, Phoenix Gold, Orion, JBL are prolly more popular companies. JL is more expensive but their amps are amazing. Again, stay away from sony, also stay away from legacy, pyramid, pyle, lanzar..all very cheap, but very very overrated.

Sub: Depends, do you wanna be a streetbeater or do u wanna make the most of ur music. Great sounding subs include subs by JL (nothing below W6 however), Adire Audio, Elemental Designs, Resonant Engineering, Digital Designs, Stereo Integrity, Orion, Eclipse (Titaniums), Phoenix Gold (Titaniums). Ive covered all price ranges, from 85-900.

Whatever you do, i urge you to go out and take a listen to whatever you plan to buy. Our opinions dont mattr because we all have different ears and what sounds good to us may sound like s*** to you and vice versa. We gave you some options, now its your job to go out and see what you like best. Good luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sound Domain is the best place to shop IMO. They have a 105% lowest price guarantee, but they usually have the best prices anyway.

I think that Pioneer is the best way to go for headunits from my experiences. They have a lot of features built in to them that are very handy for fine tuning your sound.

As for Sony, no offense to anyone, but I've known a few people that have bought Sony headunits, and they stopped working after about 2 years. I usually tell people I know to stay away from Sony car audio, mainly because a lot of it is really expensive for what you're actually getting, but to each his own. It's your money, your car, and your decision, and if you want a Sony, go for it.

You should really go to Best Buy or Circuit City and look at the units they have. Play with them a little and see which you like the best, then go home and order it online.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by 99GBlue@May 10 2004, 11:57 PM
You should really go to Best Buy or Circuit City and look at the units they have. Play with them a little and see which you like the best, then go home and order it online.

Or just buy it there and rest assured that if you have a problem it will be taken care of since they are authorized to sell the product. But then again, who needs a real warranty.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sound Domain is ok, I personally don't think you're getting that great of a deal. With Crutchfield, every single thing you need for the install is included for free, including extras and S&H . In the end you'll end up paying more on Sound Domain-IMHO. I'm with 12vRep, I don't work for Pioneer, but the speakers they make just kick a**, I've had many different speakers in my cars, but the Pioneers are the most reliable and consistent ones I've had. B)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by Ezekiel81923@May 10 2004, 04:51 PM
Sony doesnt make many good products in the car audio arena.

Rockford Fosgate and Audiobahn are "good" if you only know what is mainstream.

Speakers: CDT Audio CL61 component set. Two 6 1/2" woofers and two 1" tweeters for $150 at thezeb.com, prolly the best deal around right now.

Headunit: Clarion works, especially if u plan on getting an external amp for your speakers, since many clarion heads dont have an internal amp. Pioneer is good, alpine is good, jvc is improving, Nakamichi is good. All those companies have something in ur price range.

Amps: Most companies make amps that will fit both ur needs. US Acoustics, Phoenix Gold, Orion, JBL are prolly more popular companies. JL is more expensive but their amps are amazing. Again, stay away from sony, also stay away from legacy, pyramid, pyle, lanzar..all very cheap, but very very overrated.

Sub: Depends, do you wanna be a streetbeater or do u wanna make the most of ur music. Great sounding subs include subs by JL (nothing below W6 however), Adire Audio, Elemental Designs, Resonant Engineering, Digital Designs, Stereo Integrity, Orion, Eclipse (Titaniums), Phoenix Gold (Titaniums). Ive covered all price ranges, from 85-900.

Whatever you do, i urge you to go out and take a listen to whatever you plan to buy. Our opinions dont mattr because we all have different ears and what sounds good to us may sound like s*** to you and vice versa. We gave you some options, now its your job to go out and see what you like best. Good luck
I agree 100%. If you want to know what you need, you really need to go to a store and listen to the speakers playing music that you like.

As for head units, I prefer Kenwood. You could pick up an excelon x869 at several different retailers for < $500.

As for speakers, I would steer clear of Infinity Reference a lower-end JBL sets. Ever since the 3-way merger between JBL, HK, and Infinity their overall quality has gone down hill.

Again tho, I can't stress enough how important it is to go to a store and listen to the speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
hmm, im quite happy with the system i got in my gen3 taurus....

My setup is:

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6600 came to about $280

6 1/2": JL Audio component system VR650-CSi

5x7: JL Audio TR570-CXi

Amps: Sony 760watt (i dont know the model #) running the components and a sony x-plod 800watt monoblock amp running the subs (dont know the modle # for this either) But the 760 was about 170$ and the 800 was around $200

Subs: (2) JL Audio W3's in the box you can buy from JL...this came to $500 total (but i got a deal cuz of this sale at a local audio store)

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I had this installed in my 1991 SHO last year for $1650 installed.

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-4400
Changer - Premier CDX-P686
Amp - Alpine MRV-F450 5 Channel Amp
Front Speakers - MB Quart PCE 216 Components 6.5"
Rear Speakers - Pioneer TS-6870 6X8
Subwoofer -Alpine SWS-1041

I am pretty happy with it. Very crisp, clear and loud enough for me. The speakers were installed in the stock locations and the subwoofer is in a box in the trunk. I like it better than the stock JBL setup that died.

Bob

·
Registered
183 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts