Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what a torque strap was, heard about it a bunch of times but im not really sure what i does, pics would be sweet
thx for any info
:05:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
It's basically a chain that's wrapped around the front exhaust and the subframe. It's suppose to lengthen the life of your motor mounts and put more power to the wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Do you know if that chain wrapped to the exhaust will damage it through some driving? Just wondering ....

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
A CHAIN!

i hope that was just a example. I would THINK that may cause damage (THINK)

on the MTX sho's the engine actually has 2 shocks attached to it to limit movement, this still allows it to move some as to not twist the frame/subframe

on the gen 1&2 SHO's they are mounted to the strut towers

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by sable97@Aug 29 2004, 07:50 PM
Do you know if that chain wrapped to the exhaust will damage it through some driving? Just wondering ....

Frank
If u dont buy a sturdy enough chain itle bend and **** up and youll just have to replace it thats it

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The whole point of the torque strap is to lessen the movement of the engine while under load, thereby lessening the amount of mechanical energy lost due to movement of the engine. I'm not sure how well it works, but some people have reported good results with it.

JR

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Originally posted by SableTuner+Aug 30 2004, 07:52 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SableTuner @ Aug 30 2004, 07:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sable97@Aug 29 2004, 07:50 PM

Frank
If u dont buy a sturdy enough chain itle bend and **** up and youll just have to replace it thats it [/b][/quote]
If you use 1/4" diameter chain there is no problem. I have had this on my SHO for the last three years.

Beware of the language you use if you want your post to remain on the forum.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I don't quite understand that tutorial that was done. Does it truly go through the exhaust manifold and then subframe? I will be trying this on my gen 3 and want to know how to do it right.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
So that wraps directly from the exhaust manifold to the subframe? There's no risk of pulling the exhaust manifold bolts out of the block?

JR

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Torque straps are for limiting torque loss, due to movement or flex of the whole drivetrain (engine/trans). I had a '69 impala that came from chevy with them equipped from the head to the frame. I have seen people use solid motor mounts for the same affect. I have also chained the engine on my Taurus down, because I kept having to replace my front motor mount, 5 times in 4 months, and believe it or not even after I installed the chain I STILL had one mount come apart(DAMN FLUID FILLED ****!!!!!). At the moment I'm in contact with a machine shop trying to fabricate a complete solid front mount for our vulcans. So, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are there any negative effects from using a torque strap???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts