Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking aobut getting a remote start and was woundering what people thougt was the best and then if i needed a PAT ( i think thats right) and where i would get one.
thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i also already have a keyless entry system. just thougt i would throw that out there.

·
Registered
746 Posts
any of the DEI alarms are good. as far as buypassing the PATS system, you will need either a 555f or a 555u module. i would hightly reccomend the 555f as your primary option. much more reliable, and you wont have to destroy one of your keys.

G

·
How hard is it to wire? (555f) I have the DEI remote start system as I dont know which model it is yet, it came with my car when I bought it from the dealer. it works, but only when a key is in the ignition, which I dont like leaving a spare key for someone to break through my window and steal my car :(

·
Registered
746 Posts
im not sure how hard it is to wire up... i dont mess with installing alarms, there are tons of wires and i know nothing about them :p . it sounds like someone installed the alarm without a bypass module in your car SEL2000. the modules come with instructions, and im sure it wouldnt be too hard for you to do yourself. i would imagine it taking less than half a day for an inexperienced installer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a Viper 560XV which is the Viper 650 alarm and the 160 (i think) remote start in one. It works good, i got it from etronics for $149.99 about a year ago.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by hoss@Oct 19 2004, 08:26 PM
im not sure how hard it is to wire up... i dont mess with installing alarms, there are tons of wires and i know nothing about them :p . it sounds like someone installed the alarm without a bypass module in your car SEL2000. the modules come with instructions, and im sure it wouldnt be too hard for you to do yourself. i would imagine it taking less than half a day for an inexperienced installer.
The 555f does come with instructions, but it doesn't tell you how what to connect it to on a Ford, just Toyotas :angry: It took me about 2-3 hours of guess-and-check to figure out how it's supposed to connect. The module has 2 wires: red and blue. The red goes to a (+) positive source, the blue should be connected to a ground relay. The DEI systems have a blue (-) status output wire that should act as the (-) trigger for the relay. If that doesn't make sense and someone needs the info, let me know and I'll draw a diagram.

I have a Viper 160XV remote start/keyless entry system in my car. It took me about 4 days to install all of it, mostly because of lack of or incorrect instructions, and I had to stop for school and work. I wouldn't have gotten the keyless entry at all if Brad hadn't provided me with some info. Now that I know how everything goes, I could probably do it all in a day if I had to do it again.

jorsh, I don't know if you know this or not, but the factory keyless entry doesn't work when the car's running. So even if you have the car warmed up, you still have to stand outside and unlock your door manually with the key. That's why I got a system that also has keyless entry.

G

·
So even if you have the car warmed up, you still have to stand outside and unlock your door manually with the key

hahah thats whats good about push button entry on the door :p

also you never have to worry about locking keys in the car!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got A Valet Alarm with Impact, Glass, Remote Start, Keyless entry all in one package installed with a LIFETIME WARRANTY for $ 120. I only got this because Im good friends with the owner at a little car audio place in Mesa, AZ. So if u lived here I could hook u up (RETAIL FOR THE SET-UP IS $349.99)

·
Registered
132 Posts
With my 04 Sable, I can use the factory keyless entry with the car running. I have my key fob and apartment key on a different ring than my ignition key, and have both on a carabiner so I Can just slip the keyfob off.

I used it to lock my car while I ran in to a friend's apartment, then unlocked it on my way back out. I Watched to make sure the doors really did lock when I used it, and it worked.

So they must have improved the system...if not though I could always use the keypad on the door. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
About a month ago, I had my Prestige 55lr Remote Start/Keyless Entry Installed on my 1993 Taurus. I LOVE IT! I paid only $139.99 installed and they just tap into your power door locks so the remote works for unlock too. I dont have the keyless entry from the factory or the keypad, so the keyless entry on the remote starter is awsome! As for installation, I would highly recomend professional installation. Mine was professionaly installed, and it took them about 2:30 hours. So just think, they do it for a living and it took them 2 1/2 hours, how long would it take an unexpiernced installer? A long time! I had a friend of mine try to install his own "Easy installation" Bull Dog remote start on His 1992 Ford Aerostar last year, and after 8 hours all he got was the parking lights to flash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts