Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be selling my stock wheels, and was just wondering what youguys would suggest as a fair asking price... They are in really good condition, with no peeling paint, and just a small amount of curb rash on the edges. I would be selling them as-is, with no tires.

This is the only good pic I have of them:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I might be selling my stock wheels, and was just wondering what youguys would suggest as a fair asking price... They are in really good condition, with no peeling paint, and just a small amount of curb rash on the edges. I would be selling them as-is, with no tires.

This is the only good pic I have of them:

[/b]
Free. The only reason to buy 15s is for a spare or snow tires.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Maybe just a little bit more than free. It's an older model so not much demand for that style of wheel. Check car-parts.com, it searches junkyards. I checked New England and I saw prices as low as $15 a rim, but only one place, lots of other places at $30-$35 a rim. So maybe you'll be lucky to get $50-$100.

Why are you selling them anyway? For that kind of money, you mind as well keep them and put on snow tires if you're in an area that gets snow. As I said, you're driving an older generation so there's really no reason to put fancy rims on a car that's in the last 25% of it's life, you'll get minimal return on investment before the car ends up dying or you lose interest in it and get something else.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
As I said, you're driving an older generation so there's really no reason to put fancy rims on a car that's in the last 25% of it's life, you'll get minimal return on investment before the car ends up dying or you lose interest in it and get something else. [/b]

Seriously? :blink: So my '97 is in its last legs of life and I'm a fool to buy those rims I bought a few months ago?? I have a serious problem believing what you're trying to dish there.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on trying to sell them for $75.00 to pay for the $75.00 set of T-bird rims I am buying.

So it will be like an even trade.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I plan on trying to sell them for $75.00 to pay for the $75.00 set of T-bird rims I am buying.

So it will be like an even trade.
[/b]
Throw em on classified websites like kijiji.com or craigslist.com and see what you get. Advertise them at $100 or best offer. If you get that, you're ahead of the game.. if you have to come down to make a deal, maybe you'll still be able to settle with someone at $75, and you're still even.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
As I said, you're driving an older generation so there's really no reason to put fancy rims on a car that's in the last 25% of it's life, you'll get minimal return on investment before the car ends up dying or you lose interest in it and get something else.
[/b]
so there was no reason for me to paint my 92 black, get chrome SHO rims for it, LED tails, or any of the mods even knowing in the 2 years ive owned it ive put 50k problem free miles on it, but its going to die soon?

im sorry but saying a comment like that isnt the best thing to say on a older-car club modding forum.

Return on investment? put it this way.

I bought my car for $1000, can easly sell it for that if not more, thats a decent turn on investment, you probally paid 6-7k+ for yours, the second you got it the value fell a few grand, and if you bought it new, then the value chopped in half a year after you took it off the lot.

Taurii have terrible "return on investment" thats why you grab them for cheap, and then have extra money to do fun stuff to them, beacuse no matter what you wont get back what you paid for it, and thats true to any vehicle what so ever.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I am not trying to be a jerk or anything but they cost 7.50 each off the rack at the local LKQ u pull it

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
As I said, you're driving an older generation so there's really no reason to put fancy rims on a car that's in the last 25% of it's life, you'll get minimal return on investment before the car ends up dying or you lose interest in it and get something else.
[/b]
so there was no reason for me to paint my 92 black, get chrome SHO rims for it, LED tails, or any of the mods even knowing in the 2 years ive owned it ive put 50k problem free miles on it, but its going to die soon?

im sorry but saying a comment like that isnt the best thing to say on a older-car club modding forum.

Return on investment? put it this way.

I bought my car for $1000, can easly sell it for that if not more, thats a decent turn on investment, you probally paid 6-7k+ for yours, the second you got it the value fell a few grand, and if you bought it new, then the value chopped in half a year after you took it off the lot.

Taurii have terrible "return on investment" thats why you grab them for cheap, and then have extra money to do fun stuff to them, beacuse no matter what you wont get back what you paid for it, and thats true to any vehicle what so ever.
[/b][/quote]

To answer your question. Yes, there's no reason that you painted your car unless it needed it. Read the entire quote. I'm guessing at your age, there's a high chance that the car will be totaled at some point. I forget the exact statistic, but in the 16-25 year range, it's the highest of any group. You could also lose interest it in soon, longest I've had a car was 8 years, but typical was about 5 years. You don't really find people that will pay extra for the mods that you did. For that matter, there's the perception out there that people who mod their cars tend to drive it hard and hence it actually lowers your resale value.

It's well known that a Taurus has terrible resale value, I bought mine with leather, duratec, moonroof, climate control, keyless entry etc for 10k, with only 27k on the odometer. It was probably about $25k on the lot new. I've put 80k on it. After about 5 years, it's still probably worth about 4-5k. I'd agree you grab them cheap, but then you invest the money in other things that typically have some type of return on investment. Or you can blow it on "fun stuff". Just be clear that you're blowing the money. What's wrong with telling people not to blow their money?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I am not trying to be a jerk or anything but they cost 7.50 each off the rack at the local LKQ u pull it

Mike
B)
[/b]
I am currently looking for aluminum wheels for my Taurus. I wish this were the case locally. I just checked my local junk yard and they want $150. My local U Pull It won't give me a price quote over the phone and LKQ here wants $50 a wheel.

That being said, I just had my car painted... but the labor was free and I only had to buy the primer, base coat and clear coat. The car is from the North and had some rust. The paint was a preventive measure.

Curious question. Will the 16" Mustang Pony wheels fit my Taurus?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, they won't. If you look on the "Aesthetics, Interior, Wheel and Tires" main page, there is a "sticky" thread of what cars have wheels that will fit on our cars.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
To answer your question. Yes, there's no reason that you painted your car unless it needed it.[/b]
Yes it did need a paintjob, the old paint was chipping and it looked terrible, so I decided it would look much nicer in black.

Read the entire quote. I'm guessing at your age, there's a high chance that the car will be totaled at some point. I forget the exact statistic, but in the 16-25 year range, it's the highest of any group. [/b]
I know the statistics, but I also know how to drive a car, don't matter on my age. I already went through the "driving like an *******" stage and survived, the 3rd speeding ticket made me stop. Past year I just cruse the speedlimit to save gas, and money on tickets. Plus I also learned its much better on the transmission, and while im still in collage, I cant be buying another car. So with the money i invested not wasted into my car to enjoy it more, it will last much longer. So take your statistic and shove it.

You could also lose interest it in soon, longest I've had a car was 8 years, but typical was about 5 years. You don't really find people that will pay extra for the mods that you did. For that matter, there's the perception out there that people who mod their cars tend to drive it hard and hence it actually lowers your resale value. [/b]
Would suck if I lost interest but as sad as it sounds, im pretty into them, got 2 right now. First car im buying after I get out of school and get a real job is the 2010 SHO. And im pretty sure im going to drive both of them until they die. I could care less about the resale value of a 18 year old car. And for the driving it hard thing, see above.

It's well known that a Taurus has terrible resale value, I bought mine with leather, duratec, moonroof, climate control, keyless entry etc for 10k, with only 27k on the odometer. It was probably about $25k on the lot new. I've put 80k on it. After about 5 years, it's still probably worth about 4-5k. I'd agree you grab them cheap, but then you invest the money in other things that typically have some type of return on investment. Or you can blow it on "fun stuff". Just be clear that you're blowing the money. What's wrong with telling people not to blow their money?[/b]
so your saying making the car look much better is just "fun stuff" and not somthing that has a positive "return on investment"? Then I would like to know your defenition of things that have a return on investment you can do to a 18 year old car. Its not blowing your money if you enjoy what its spent on.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
As I said, you're driving an older generation so there's really no reason to put fancy rims on a car that's in the last 25% of it's life, you'll get minimal return on investment before the car ends up dying or you lose interest in it and get something else.[/b]
:glare: ...

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well... seeing as I already got my answer... I predict this thread will soon be... :locked:

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Well... seeing as I already got my answer... I predict this thread will soon be... :locked:
[/b]
+1

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Henry, I thought we had covered this in another thread?

Not everyone on the website is looking for investments in their vehicles. It's a depreciating asset. I know you understand that, but coming into a thread and saying what you did...I don't get it. People on this website enjoy spending money on making modifications to their vehicle. And the accusations about animex's driving age, and the age of his vehicle in relation to the likelihood of it being totaled have absolutely NOTHING to do with the beginning topic of the thread.

Can we stick to the general topic at hand please?

·
Registered
283 Posts
don't worry man if u want wheels for ur older car do it. modding cars is all aobut doing what u want. any car u mod u throw money into and if u want to sell only like minded people will buy with the mods. as far as ROI these a cars no such think unless it were a 1955 taurus and those are hard to come by. anyway get wheels for u ride if u want it is no big deal dude. as far as price mmm 30-50 bucks a wheel seems fair. personally i don't really like the design but that is me.

·
Registered
887 Posts
No, they won't. If you look on the "Aesthetics, Interior, Wheel and Tires" main page, there is a "sticky" thread of what cars have wheels that will fit on our cars.
[/b]
Thanks! My oversight. This list will be useful in the junkyards.

Back on topic with the original question at hand:
I just called my local U Pull It and was told that the rims have mysteriously increased in popularity. They want $25 plus tax for each wheel. $37.50 with tire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts