Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
for me, it was the 1986-1988 Buick Century - (I think they ruined it into the 1989 or 1990)

nice classic looks/lines/interior, fun to drive, economical, pretty much everything i like in the taurus

http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20091229/22519099_1X.JPG

1988 Buick Century Image

but the quality of the engine and overall mechanical hardware in the 1996 taurus won me over. plus, it's a little sportier. The buick inline 4 cylinder gave surprisingly good gas milage for an almost full sized sedan, but was noisy and could be described as 'austere' and 'disposable'. It was minimally adaquete for 55 mph national speed limit at the time, but not for higher speed limits that came later. buick century also had annoying stuff like cheap brakes that would have clogged calipers required needlessly high $400+ brake jobs too often

the century was a 100,000 mile car, the taurus is a 150,000+ mile car

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Damn it! I'm at 142K.... Only 7K to go and it's all over :(

My Previous car was a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Loved it, had to sell it due to money issues.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
My favorite car was, and still is, a 1st Gen GM F body, 67-69 Camaro or Firebird. I owned a 68 Camaro Sport Coupe 327 ci. I'll get back there someday...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My favorite car was, and still is, a 1st Gen GM F body, 67-69 Camaro or Firebird. I owned a 68 Camaro Sport Coupe 327 ci. I'll get back there someday...
67-68 firebird is the most beautiful car of all time, IMO

have always thought that

but i'm talking more about general purpose all around practical car

(Pontiac put the last nail in their coffin with their last GTO-in name-only, a faithfull retro firebird in the manner of the current challangers, camaros and mustangs would have been a big hit - they still could make a varient of the current camaro modified to reflect the 67-68 firebird that would greatly lengthen the life of that car frame, they would have to just get past the hang up of the dead label 'pontiac', perhaps a marketing label 'GM classics-pontiac firebird'', would get them past that)

·
Registered
12 Posts
1984 Saab 900. A real driver's car, best on the back roads along the Delaware River in upstate PA, great on ice and snow, too. Totaled by a drunk, only 33,000 miles. Wife & I had whiplash, were given an insurance settlement check, we could hardly walk, all we wanted to do was buy some wheels, and a Ford dealership was nearby, so that's when we bought our first Ford, a Tempo. Have not bought anything else since. Cars are '93 Taurus GL wagon & 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Ed

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Pagaini Zonda. Too bad I'll never own one. :lol2:

Nah, I still loved the old Thunderbird and yes, the heavenly Torino. Only other car's I've had were a Trans Am, Thunderbird, and now the Taurus. Loved em all.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
for me, it was the 1986-1988 Buick Century - (I think they ruined it into the 1989 or 1990)

nice classic looks/lines/interior, fun to drive, economical, pretty much everything i like in the taurus

http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20091229/22519099_1X.JPG

1988 Buick Century Image

but the quality of the engine and overall mechanical hardware in the 1996 taurus won me over. plus, it's a little sportier. The buick inline 4 cylinder gave surprisingly good gas milage for an almost full sized sedan, but was noisy and could be described as 'austere' and 'disposable'. It was minimally adaquete for 55 mph national speed limit at the time, but not for higher speed limits that came later. buick century also had annoying stuff like cheap brakes that would have clogged calipers required needlessly high $400+ brake jobs too often

the century was a 100,000 mile car, the taurus is a 150,000+ mile car

I loved my 94 Cutlass Cruiser S (same platform as your Century). She had the 3100 and was a beast. I had a lot of fun and memories in that car. Would still love to get another for a 3800 S/C swap.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
67-68 firebird is the most beautiful car of all time, IMO

have always thought that

but i'm talking more about general purpose all around practical car

(Pontiac put the last nail in their coffin with their last GTO-in name-only, a faithfull retro firebird in the manner of the current challangers, camaros and mustangs would have been a big hit - they still could make a varient of the current camaro modified to reflect the 67-68 firebird that would greatly lengthen the life of that car frame, they would have to just get past the hang up of the dead label 'pontiac', perhaps a marketing label 'GM classics-pontiac firebird'', would get them past that)
Well, I owned it when I was in my early 20's, so it was my general purpose, all around practical car (April til November anyway...) Hooked the wife of 22 years with a '78 Z-28 way back when...

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is a tough one, but for me it would have to be the Mercury Marauder. I've always been a fan of the "land yachts" and the Marauder takes that and turns into a sports car. Not to mention they could be had in my favorite car color-black.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
I have 4:

1971 Yellow Torino GT fastback, 351-4V, off the lot, fast car!

1976 White with 1/2 Dk. Blue Vinyl Top w/opera windows Gran Torino Elite, 351-2V, special order from factory.

1985 Dk Blue Cutlass Supreme Brougham, Super stock chrome rims, 307 V-8, special order from factory. Yup, a GM. Really didn't like the T-Bird/Cougar body styles back then!

1996 Laser Red Cougar XR-7, 4.6 V-8, special order from factory.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My favorite from my past was my 1991 Thunderbird 3.8 NA. Nothing special about it except it looked good, maroon with maroon and black interior. In the UP during winter, I could throw a set of cables on the rear wheels and drive it damn near anywhere. That car was real good to me. I had to sell it because I wound up married with kids. Now that I'm no longer married and don't have custody, I still have my 'Bird's replacement.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I had an 87 Ranger before the Taurus as well.....

I miss it soooo bad, Looking for another one so I can do it all over :)

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
This is a tough one, but for me it would have to be the Mercury Marauder. I've always been a fan of the "land yachts" and the Marauder takes that and turns into a sports car. Not to mention they could be had in my favorite car color-black.
Beautiful car, a buddy of mine owns one. Biggest fastback land yacht muscle car I've ever seen! His '68 Cougar is pretty nice too!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
AH memories! I was 15 years old and for $800 bought my brothers 1971 Torino fastback with a 351 2V dual exhaust 'glass packs' Jade green and a vinyl roof. Never raced or rodded it and it took good care of me. Sold it and bought a 1979 302 Mustang "Cobra" 4 speed. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Nalmost bought one but never owned, im LOVE the last gen 94-97 ford probe gts, quite possible the best sounding underrated v6 ford ever made (technically a mazda engine blah blah).

Im trying to find one local that hadst been destroyed, the nicest one i saw was totally rebuilt with a klze swap but it was purple.with an awful bodykit!

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
I think my favorite car (other than my current Tbird) had to have been my 88 Lincoln Towncar. This car was AWESOME in every meaning of the word. Pleanty of power, super comfortable, drive anywhere. I took it on a 4 hour trip to Hershey Park, PA without a hiccup. It was used by the prior owner as a Towncar service(taxi) in and out of NYC. The car had 427K miles on it when I got rid of it(reluctantly). It had the ORIGINAL 5.0, and the trans was rebuilt only once. I drove that thing all over the place and didnt think twice. I would get another one in a heartbeat if I didnt like my bird so muchB)

Me circa 1998 with the towncar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts