Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm Tyler, I picked up this 2002 Ford Taurus SE (it was a grandma car so it's mint) 139K. Happy to have this car instead of my other car I was 20K in the hole with. However I'm dealing with an intermittent P0301 code and a crappy idle. Looking forward to connect with like minded enthusiasts. Lastly, my username is buschslayer, why you ask if you do.. busch is my favorite beer and slayer is my favorite band so whoop der it is.

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm Tyler, I picked up this 2002 Ford Taurus SE (it was a grandma car so it's mint) 139K. Happy to have this car instead of my other car I was 20K in the hole with. However I'm dealing with an intermittent P0301 code and a crappy idle. Looking forward to connect with like minded enthusiasts. Lastly, my username is buschslayer, why you ask if you do.. busch is my favorite beer and slayer is my favorite band so whoop der it is.

View attachment 219521
P0301 is cylinder #1 misfire. Most likely is coil pack. Since you have a Vulcan engine, coil is up front and easy to replace. Many coils these years fail by 100K or so. Pic of cracks in the coilpack. Been there as many of us here. Others will chime in about what brand. Pic is my '03 now sold. Throwing parts at issues is usually bad but: since Ford has so many of these it is suspect and hard to check out.
At 100K Ford says replace the plugs, and always ohm the wires. Check old plugs for damage.
And of course WELOCME!
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
23,697 Posts
Welcome Tyler! ^+1 with Chart. For your p0301 misfire, suspect plugs, wires and coil pack. If you replace the coil, Motorcraft or Borg-Warner (BWD) brands are recommended. Then it's on to injectors, then compression/leak-down tests. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all above, I plan on replacing the coil pack as soon as I get home from work.. working the graveyard shift so my weekend starts at 7am. Yay! 😄

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Thanks all above, I plan on replacing the coil pack as soon as I get home from work.. working the graveyard shift so my weekend starts at 7am. Yay! 😄
Coilpack is easy, keeping the wires in order needs some thought. One at a time.
Get back with results. Likely coil pack fail is not a per mile fail but time and heat, or just whatever. I went through a pick a part junk yard and looked for a coil as a spare that was not cracked. NONE! Did find a new one on a DOHC along with new wires. Got them. That was few years back, and still have the coil on the shelf. Down to 2 coil pack bulls in my herd now. One COP, and I got a spare coil from the JY for that. They fail too.
-chart-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all, hope your Christmas was OK.

For my P0301 code (cyl1 misfire) I replaced plugs, coil pack, and plug wires and it still hasn't resolved the issue. I've also got codes for sys too lean bank 1 and another code for an O2 sensor. Just curious if the system too lean code can trigger a misfire because of improper fuel/air ratios. Thanks for y'alls help again.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Hello all, hope your Christmas was OK.

For my P0301 code (cyl1 misfire) I replaced plugs, coil pack, and plug wires and it still hasn't resolved the issue. I've also got codes for sys too lean bank 1 and another code for an O2 sensor. Just curious if the system too lean code can trigger a misfire because of improper fuel/air ratios. Thanks for y'alls help again.
Lean is usually vacuum leaks. If it is really one bank only, likely intake gaskets. Of course if both are lean but only one has set a code, also vacuum leak but different location, like a hose.
Lean can trigger only one cylinder as it is just which one is the first to miss.
Lean fuel mix is needed to be fixed. Need to get fuel trims and see into what is going on. Long term move around but to set a code have to be way out of line.
O2 sensor will set it's own code if it is the cause.
Pending codes also tell a story. Example. '05 with obvious misfire and no light. Pending code from my reader told #3 cylinder. Bad coil. Fixed.
-chart-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lean is usually vacuum leaks. If it is really one bank only, likely intake gaskets. Of course if both are lean but only one has set a code, also vacuum leak but different location, like a hose.
Lean can trigger only one cylinder as it is just which one is the first to miss.
Lean fuel mix is needed to be fixed. Need to get fuel trims and see into what is going on. Long term move around but to set a code have to be way out of line.
O2 sensor will set it's own code if it is the cause.
Pending codes also tell a story. Example. '05 with obvious misfire and no light. Pending code from my reader told #3 cylinder. Bad coil. Fixed.
-chart-
Chart,

Tonight I replaced the fuel injector on cylinder 1 so far runs 10x better and no CEL either. Pray to the car gods no more codes come my way lol

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Chart,

Tonight I replaced the fuel injector on cylinder 1 so far runs 10x better and no CEL either. Pray to the car gods no more codes come my way lol
Thanks for your response.
I have had 19 fuel injected Ford products, and had one injector and it was a leaker on '88 Taurus. Ran fine, but would start like it was near flooded. I got a JY one and put on it. So have considered them rare fails. Recently hearing more of that on this post. Maybe getting a more common fail item.
-chart-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts