Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there! I am in Australia and having the seemingly typical problems with my 3.0 litre 24 OHV Duratec motor not starting intermittently. It finally failed when it was in the the shop yesterday and now the mech will change the Crankshaft Pos sensor as he says it is dead.

The VIN is 1FALP52S5TA197336 and it is a RHD Ghia model - do I need the mechanical part, (shaft, gears and coils or is mine just the press in Hall effect sensor?

Thansk for any help.

Best regards rob:rolleyes2:

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Crank sensor should be a VR (Variable Reluctance) sensor, not a Hall Effect sensor. No gears, etc are needed, just the sensor, which attaches with 1 or 2 small bolts. Gap between sensor tip and the "gear" (really a toothed sprocket) should be fine just installing the sensor, but worth checking after the install.

Ford crank sensors rarely go bad unlike the high failure rates GM had in the 80s thru mid / late 90s.

FYI, the easy way to distinguish a Hall sensor from a VR sensor is the number of wires it has. VR has 2 wires, Hall has 3.

Reactions: danhasenauer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks Sheila, I really appreciate the help you and other members have given. Its not easy to find anything about the Tauras over here although when ir runs we love it!

I will now have some idea when the shop tells me how much the repair will cost although they have been good to keep trying (and not charge me for their time whilst the problem came and went). So far four failures in my garage, three tows and several visits to the workshop.

There are electrical shops here that have refused to look at the Tauras because of the wretched way they are put together, (alternator etc...)

Thansk agian - I will close this off once it is fixed. Bye Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts