Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I come to you from the 60's/70's musclecar community.
I am building a '71 Mercury Cougar for my 15year old.
I wanted a decent engine with some power (but not too much)
and yet be a nice, daily driver....Enter a 1992 SHO MTX
that I picked up on ebay.

I think the modern look of this engine will look great inside a classic musclecar.

A couple questions are;
do they make an automatic tranny for gen II SHO's?

I have a fresh automatic tranny that fits a 351W Ford engine, can this be made to work? :blush:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There is a FWD transmission (auto) for the SHO motor, it's the AX4S or AXOD-E (depending on year). Of course, if you're building a RWD car, you won't want that.

You can have a custom bellhousing adapter made to made the SHO motor to a RWD transmission. If I recall correctly, most people have done that with a C5 transmission. Otherwise, you can use the transmission from a Ford Aerostar mini-van, though that probably isn't strong enough for your application.

Do some seaching on shoforum.com. That's much more SHO specific, and there are several threads there about mating a SHO to a RWD tranny.

Good luck, and get us some pictures when you can!

JR

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
You might look into the tranny from a Ranger; I would wonder if there was a tow package that you could get on an auto Ranger that had a beefier tranny, and maybe lower gearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. i'll check out shoforum.com
and look into the ranger tranny.

oh and I will come back and post pictures of the cougar with the sho in it once we get to that point!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Any transmission from a Ranger or Aerostar that mated to the 3.0 Vulcan will work. In fact I know of a Ranger with a SHO motor and Ranger RWD tranny.

Also you can use a T5 from a 95 Mustang I believe and a 87 Aerostar manual bellhousing to get that to fit to the SHO motor. You will have to make an adapter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts