Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after much deliberation, I've decided to keep my 97 Sable, as opposed to selling it and getting a newer car (and the payments that come with it). But, if i'm going to keep the Sable there are quite a few things that I need to replace/upgrade. Please note: the parents are paying for this, I guess I've been EXTRA good this year. :ph34r: B)

Well, first thing....brakes. I'm tired of wearing out brake pads. Also, when I drive for a long distance (say from here to Tampa, where I'll be attending college) the brakes tend to fade by the end of the trip. A buddy and I were wardriving (probably not what you'd think) around our city, and after about 80 miles (we were bored), the brakes started to get really weak. I have 4 wheel discs, and I would like to upgrade the rotors/pads. Maybe vented with ceramic pads?

Also, the suspension is starting to show it's age. The rear end is rather bouncy, and my parents have agreed to replace all of the shocks. I'm thinking about lowering the car (on my own dime).

The car just passed 119k miles, and the tranny has never been serviced, so that's going to get taken care of.

What am I missing? Anything else I should check? We wan't this car to be in the best condition a 7 year old car can be in. The paint is keyed/egged but my brother is willing to paint it for $750+ paint (family rate). He does incredible jobs, and uses House of Kolor paints.

I'm just looking for opinions on brands and prices on what this will cost. Also, feel free to add anything if you wish. I know this is pretty large, so I'm going to stop now. :p

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
This is only my opinion but I would replace the rotors with vented and drilled EBC's, and maybe EBC Greenstuff pads or Hawk HP pads. You should also consider replacing the lines with stainless steel braided lines. You should be able to get them from The Tire Rack. They're maybe a $100. If you're having a shop do the work have them flush the brake fluid while it's there.

For the struts I would go with KYB's. They're about $400 for the set. For the springs I would use Eibach's. They're about $200. The labor shouldn't be any different to replace the springs since they come off when you replace the struts so do it all at once. I payed $600 parts and labor for stock replacement struts so don't be surprised if the labor cost is over $300. I tried to do it myself and determined I didn't have the patience. Make sure the estimate they give you includes a 4-wheel alignment.

Asking what else your missing is a pretty broad statement. Are you looking for solid maintanance or decent performance mods? Either way I would do a full tune up- plugs, wires, cap & rotor, oil change and flush, K&N type air filter, radiator flush, etc. When you get the trans done take it somewhere that will flush it and not just change the fluid. It's about $120 where I am but is well worth it with the mileage of your car. I would also suggest a transmission cooler ($55 for a stacked plate type) and possibly using synthetic trans fluid ($3- $4 per quart).

If you want real performance I'll have to get back to you. There is so much you can do depending on how much you want to spend and what you're looking for.

-Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Make sure you check to see if any other components are warn and what not.. typical 3K mile oil change, spark plug change.... check your tires... exhaust.. check that because it could be rusting through (which I doubt but its good to check) and change your wiper blades! I'm buying new ones today cuz they are original :eek:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I also agree with the EBC Greenstuff pads. I'll be putting them on the next time I need pads. I would personally go with the Brembo solid rotors to reduce cost. You probably won't be doing anything demanding enough to need slotted or cross-drilled rotors.

JR

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the k&n air filter has been done for awhile, oil changes have been done regligiously since we got the car, wiper blades, coolant, tires, plugs, etc. are already taken care of by me. No need taking it to a shop for those minor maintenance issues. I'm mainly focusing on suspension, engine, tranny and brakes. I'm kinda looking to not only replace things, but to upgrade what I can. I wan't to upgrade the brake system, to get better performace. I would like to upgrade the springs/struts. Maybe even lower the car a little. I'm not looking to just replace things, I want to get the best I can get. I'm just making a list of everything, and I didn't want to forget anything.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
The pad being really weak sounds like you need to get your brake lines flushed or maybe there's something else going on like a stuck caliper causing the brake lines to boil.

As for the wardriving, are you referring to looking for open wireless ports in the city?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by HenrySel@Jul 16 2004, 12:15 AM
As for the wardriving, are you referring to looking for open wireless ports in the city?
Why yes, yes I am. Some of the names of the networks are rather funny. I saw a "buttmonkey" ,a "f*** you", "bubblebutt" among other things. We found 113 between our small town, and the medium sized town adjacent. Not bad for all the old people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, you should already have a tranny cooler.

If your cooling system has been regularly serviced, an additional tranny cooler, will often not yield any substantial benefits.

As far as tranny service goes, make sure you drop the pan and change the filter, clean up the pan and magnet, and flush back in a Merc. V fluid. Something like 14 qts for a AX4N if I remember correctly.

With that kind of mileage on stock fluid, a simple flush with out a filter change will lead to problems. The tranny fluid should be flushed every 30-40K mi.

Flush out and fill your radiator, the prestone kit works quite well for this, I try to flush my wifes 00 Taurus yearly (the 3.0L vulcan dirtys up the water quite fast).

Prolly time for a new serp. belt too.

I would also flush out your power steering system, a standard Atf is fine for your pwr. steering system.

Wouldn't hurt to put in new plugs and wires, cant go wrong with Motorcraft DPs or Autolite DPs...the rest are just junk, IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts