Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Duratech in a Taurus SEL.
For a while now I have been getting the horrible screeching when I go to start the car which is indicative of a bad starter bendix or ring gear/flex plate. It was getting worse and I knew one day it would not start. Took out the starter and the bendix looked fine, but the teeth on the ring gear were another story. So the engine has to come out.
As this is a PITA of a job I wondered if members of the forum could recommend what items to replace as a precaution while the engine and transmission are out and these items are easy to get to?

·
Registered
9,744 Posts
I had ’03 DOHC ~175K had bad flex plate gear. I had shop drop the subframe/engine and replaced the TQ and flex plate. The ‘03’s had a history of spline fails. Just insurance. Starter was fine.
-chart-

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,025 Posts
Definitely the alt ^ 😄

Do the oil pan gasket for sure. Check the exhaust manifold gaskets as well. Might check the condition of the AC compressor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input.
When I first got the car the oil pressure sender unit was leaking and what a performance it was to change that, hence my original question.
I was planning to replace the water pump, all the belts and hoses, and all the visible transmission oil seals.
As chartmaker said he had bad splines on the converter in his 03. Was that isolated to that one year or is it a common problem?

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,025 Posts
You can replace the water pump, but it’s a very low fail item, and it’s also up top, so it’s pretty easy to get out with the engine in the car.
I believe 03 and 05 are considered the two “problem years” for TQ spline issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes mine a borderline year, but I'll replace it anyway as it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
9,744 Posts
You can replace the water pump, but it’s a very low fail item, and it’s also up top, so it’s pretty easy to get out with the engine in the car.
I believe 03 and 05 are considered the two “problem years” for TQ spline issues.
I have/had 4 DOHC G-4's. No water pump issues. Likely very low load on the bearings due the separate belt. Present highest mile one 189K and pump is fine. My Buick lucerne just had a pump bearing go bad at 74K. High belt load makes for higher risk of fail. However the Buick was book 1 hour labor. The G-4 DOHC likely the same labor.
I would do the pan gasket if the sub frame dropped, and the Alt if nearing 125K or more. I did 3 of mine before the brushes wore the slip ring out but they were on their last legs. It is a bit of a pain to do the Alt. Side bar for the pump belt. I had a tensioner get noisy but took it off and used the stretchy belt on it. Easy to install. Belt is cheaper than the tensioner. Useless piece of hardware.
-chart-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.
So far, oil pan gasket, torque converter, alternator (may just rebuild it, if I can get the kit), A/C compressor and exhaust gaskets.
Then of course a good check of everything else on the outside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts