Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

My mechanic says I need to replace my water pump because it is leaking. I figure if this has to be done I might as well replace some things along the way. I know the serpentine belt has to come off and maybe a few other things, what else do you guys think I can easily replace while the water pump is off?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Water pump, Water pump gasket, Radiator flush, Thermostat, inspect all rubber in cooling system, replace worn / cracking / rotting / damaged hoses. If never done, replace fan relays (Hi, and Low). Clean outer surfaces of the radiator, and inspect behind evaporator for trapped debris. (Be sure to fill with 50/50 mix antifreeze, or use Distilled / RO water during the filling, instead of hose water... tempting as it may be)

·
Registered
50 Posts
inspect the idler pully, and tensioner, most often they dont need replacement.
In some rare cases, the idler pulley is the cause of the water pump going bad, due to the additional stress added by vibrations created by the idler pulley.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have removed the components from that area on the engine bay on like 4 different Taurus's, and all of them had bearing noise/play on the tension/idler pulley and my tensioner was super seized. I would suggest replacing them, but I live in Canada so there's lots of harsh road conditions, maybe this doesn't happen to southern cars.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car is in Korea, so we get alot of the salt, snow, rain, etc. here.

Thanks for the help guys. On my list so far I have the following:

Pump gasket
Water pump
Thermostat gasket
Belt tensioner
Serpentine belt
180* Thermostat
Bypass hose
Heater hose (driver)
Heater hose (passenger)

Look good?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, looks perfect. Add to that list 50/50 Prestone (or equivalent universal coolant 50/50 mix) and one bottle of rust inhibitor, and you are golden.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts