Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be flushing my cooling system to try to get my heat back before i jump to replacing the heatecore.

Does anyone have any recommendations for products i can use to do this?

I have been recommended Prestone cooling system flush and even liquid plumber by another member, anyone have any tips or recommendations before i start pouring random things into my system?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Liquid plumber, is Sodium hypochlorate, it will oxidize and weaken the already weak aluminum walls in the heater core / radiator. Prestone cooling system flush is good, as well as gunk, but have you tried to rid the system of all air? Also, is the thermostat present in the system?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you purge the air out of the system?

I am sure there IS a thermostat there but replacing it is on my to do list. The car operates at normal temps at all times under all driving conditions and weather so i am sure the thermostat is working properly.

Last winter i had no heat and i flushed the heatcore and system and a lot of rust came out and the heat got much hotter for a few months after that then went back to cooler.

Should i use more than 1 container or Prestone or Gunk?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
When you refill, make sure you use coolant mixed with distilled or RO water. If you do not have access to those, then buy the premixed coolant. Infrequent changes and mineral laden water are the number one causes of corrosion in the cooling system which results in that stuff getting plugged up.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
If you do decide to change the core, remember you DON'T have to remove the dashboard. There is a great shortcut for it!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The coolant system is self-purging if everything in it is working OK (thermostat, water pump) This is the reason the expansion tank/overflow bottle is also called the degasser tank.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so i have to drain the system to replace the coolant tank anyway so i will see if running 2 bottles of the Prestone flush product through there for a few days will do anything.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Okay so i have to drain the system to replace the coolant tank anyway so i will see if running 2 bottles of the Prestone flush product through there for a few days will do anything.
Vulcans are prone to a lot of rust in their cooling systems, that is the main reason they need a regular complete flush every other year. When I flush a Vulcan, I will add Prestone Rust Inhibitor/Water Pump Lube to the fresh coolant refill.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any other products worth mentioning when doing a flush and additives for the fresh fill?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay so i bought 2 of the large jugs of Prestone Radiator Cleaner. They were much larger than the smaller Prestone Radiator Flush which said they include the same ingridents so i went with the bigger ones which were $5.99 apiece.

I am going to be putting in the new overflow tank soon and using both of these jugs at the same time to flush the system. Does anyone think using both of these will cause too much of the chemical in the system or will it be okay?

It says for systems over 12 quarts to use 2, but i wasn't sure if the Vulcan system is that large.

Also does anyone know the legal way to dispose of used coolant? I bought 2 new jugs of Prestone and am going to be getting rid of the older stuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,669 Posts
I forget the exact capacity for the Vulcan, but I think it is around 10.5 qt or so. I think you would be OK using 2 bottles, but follow the directions exactly. Be sure the system is completely flushed of the old stuff / cleaner before refilling the system.

As far as disposal, call your city and ask. Around here, there is a city facility that takes used oil, used antifreeze, old tires (limit 4 at a time), old cans of paint, etc.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Does anyone know more about purging the system?
put the car on an incline. If you do not live in a hilly area, so ramps will do. Point the nose of the car up and squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses to work out the air.

Refill as necessary as the purging will reduce the quantity of coolant in the reservoir.

Also, the system is designed to be pressurized (around 16psi). Typical driving and Highway driving will help purge the system over a few days. Just keep checking the coolant level and fill as needed.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Okay so i bought 2 of the large jugs of Prestone Radiator Cleaner. They were much larger than the smaller Prestone Radiator Flush which said they include the same ingridents so i went with the bigger ones which were $5.99 apiece.

I am going to be putting in the new overflow tank soon and using both of these jugs at the same time to flush the system. Does anyone think using both of these will cause too much of the chemical in the system or will it be okay?

It says for systems over 12 quarts to use 2, but i wasn't sure if the Vulcan system is that large.

Also does anyone know the legal way to dispose of used coolant? I bought 2 new jugs of Prestone and am going to be getting rid of the older stuff.

Your local junkyard should be able to recycle that stuff. As for flushing it. Just buy lots (4 gallons or so) of distilled water. Drain the flush, Fill with Distilled water. Run the car around the block to get the water flowing through the system. Drain (into capture device) and refill again. Do this 2x or until the Distilled water is no more and you will have the flushing agent out.

Refill with a 50/50 mixture of coolant/distilled water and you are good to go!

Remember to recycle the used coolant and the flushing agent with the distilled water.

·
Super Moderator
8,669 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It is listed in the owners manual.
Okay i found a manual online its 11.60 quarts for the Vulcan and 10.6 for the Duratec

Strange i went thorough the manual and i can't find service intervals for when to change parts and fluid, any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,669 Posts
When the car was originally sold, it came with a seperate "maintanance guide" telling what the change intervals are supposed to be for "normal" driving and "severe service driving", which in reality, is the way 90% of us drive. IMO, these intervals are still too long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts