Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gues, i was pondering the other night as to what i could do to my Bull to make it a lil faster. By faster i mean acceleration, pick-up, ect. I just love my car but i just wish it was a lil faster. I do have some money saved up, not 5g's for a new stroker engine, but i am just seeing what you guys have done, or would do in my case!?!! any sugestions would be Great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
What engine do you have? and perhaps more importantly, how hard do you want to work for power gains?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Originally posted by DMX@Mar 25 2004, 10:45 PM
What engine do you have? and perhaps more importantly, how hard do you want to work for power gains?
And . . . what's your experience mechanically with cars? Have you supercharged/turbo'd cars before or are you more or are you more of a "only-change-the-oil" guy?

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Originally posted by Xee+Mar 26 2004, 12:06 AM-->QUOTE (Xee @ Mar 26 2004, 12:06 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-DMX
@Mar 25 2004, 10:45 PM
And . . . what's your experience mechanically with cars? Have you supercharged/turbo'd cars before or are you more or are you more of a "only-change-the-oil" guy? [/b]
And even then, if you're good at planning stuff out, or know where to look for help, you can pull it off. In one summer I went from an oil change/pvc tubing intake/phenolic spacer guy to a supercharger nut :)

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
According to his profile he has a 2001 Vulcan.

Don't ask me... I'm a Duratec guy
... I can help with suspension and brake mods though!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Step One: Intake. If you're looking for a cheap, easy HP boost, get yourself a K&N replacement filter (any auto parts store should have them, and have a book to tell you which to buy). If you want something more potent, Draxas is working on a full-on custom Cold Air Intake system. Don't know the cost yet, but they're working on a Duratec version before the Vulcan version. Look for the CAI thread started by Draxas_VP

Other than that, you can go numerous directions. I can recommend redoing your exhaust system. Get a high-flow Catalytic Converter (or just remove it if you can legally and morally go that route), larger pipes with as straight a flow as possible. Go with no muffler/resonator for the most power, but that obviously will be loud as hell. The right resonator/muffler combo won't kill the boost much at all. People around here tend to go for the Cherry Bomb resonator with or without a Summit Turbo muffler.

If you're really adventurous, go for a true-dual exhaust system, but that's pricey and has to be done right.

There's also performance chipsets. I still don't know WHICH chip is best for the Taurus, but they sound like a good idea. A new chip for the onboard computer will re-tune your ignition and transmission and whatnot for power instead of fuel economy. I've heard, though, that some chips will increase power AND economy. How that's done is beyond me, must be the way they tweak the air/fuel mixture or something.

By far, though, the best way to add an easy 40 HP to your car is to tint the windows and get a pearlescent paint job. It'll make it go faster, really.

Pax,
Matthew

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Matt's right - The two T's will greatly help your Hp. Tint and Twenties.

Nitrous is a really cheap way for Hp gains. Just don't go too far with it.

You can get a 3.2L stroker engine for about 3k, which is about the same price for putting on a supercharger (brand new in both cases. I know you can buy an Eaton m90 off ebay for cheap).

Morana has some parts for the Vulcan. A ranger aftermarket cam can be put in, or a custom-ground one can be made. roller rockers, hydraulic lifters and lighter/stronger pushrods. Port and Polish the UIM, LIM, and heads, with a 3 angle valve job. forged pistons made for a ranger.

It can get really expensive and really difficult really quickly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea i am more of a Oil change and tire guy, a lube tech maybe, yea i liked some of your guys ideas. I think my first step that i am going to take is to get a new exhaust and intake. I already have a diablo chip, i just need to get it re-flashed. I think i am going to see what that Durax guy will come up with for the intake. Also yes i should have added, i have a 3.0 Vulcan, yes VULCAN POWER!! I think that there is enough room in my engine for a Turbo, i just dont know what would be better. A turbo or a supercharger! Also i want to keep it under 3K!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Originally posted by av10sguy@Mar 26 2004, 07:10 PM
I think that there is enough room in my engine for a Turbo, i just dont know what would be better. A turbo or a supercharger! Also i want to keep it under 3K!
A turbo would be out of the question. It's just way too expensive. If you're willing to do all of the work yourself though, you might be able to supercharge it. Though for now, just focus on the exhaust and intake.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What tools do you have access to? If you can't weld, toss the turbo idea out the window. Also, for real big gains, you'll need to be able to pluck your engine out of your car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well yea i have no tools, for a project like that, however i know some ppl who can, also my buddy works for Ford-Mercury and he told me that he has some freinds who can install ne thing like that. I was thinking of maybe a supercharger, but if i do go in that direction what other parts would i need, if i get a supercharger fully built??! :thanks:

·
Registered
42 Posts
*Paging DMX... Paging DMX*

He's SC'd his 3.8, so he pretty much knows what you need. You'll need to redo your intake box (read: get rid of it), get a new belt (to power the SC), a new MAF...

Or, if you really wanna do something special, and are comfortable wiring things... Check this out. It's sort of like a chip, except it's a completely new ECU, and you'll need to buy a bunch of sensors plus new coils, all from Electromotive. It's quite pricey (a complete setup runs somewhere around 2.5k, maybe a bit more), but you can do a lot of really cool stuff with it. Basically, you can control everything in your engine on the fly with the TEC3- timing advance, air/fuel ratios, warmup procedures, idle, etc... It's best used, probably, once you do something major to your car, like supercharge it, because you'll need to monkey around with setting, but you can still squeeze more power, or more efficiency, out of any engine. You will need access to a machine shop, or someone who knows how to machine (a college student majoring in MechE is your best bet) because you'll need to install a couple special parts. I have experience with the TEC3 personally (work with it nearly every day on my team), and it's just amazing. If you have any questions, just ask away.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
It's relatively easy to SC a 3.8 because a factory version of it has been made...SCing a vulcan will be a harder process since you're pretty much on your own. If you have the connections to get it installed, I say go for it. You may want to think about NOS if you want to make power quickly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go to your local tuning shop and buy all the stickers you see. That'll give you several thousand horsepower.

Of course I'm kidding, if you're strong of arm, you could remove your power steering pump. If you live in an agreeable part of the world, weather-wise, you could yank the a/c. parasitic losses are huge, so those are big power gains, but the car will NOT be able to be resold.

By the way, if you decide to supercharge, take some pics and show us how you did it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea only if i had a 3.8 i probably wouldnt need a supercharger! I dont have so many connections but i know some ppl who know some ppl that do illeagle car stuff and such!

·
Registered
32 Posts
i think one of those sticky threads should be made about superchargers and turbochargers, every week someone asks about supercharging or turbocharging their taurus, its quite a ridiculous idea and not worth the cost, unless you are hell bent on supercharging or turbocharging a taurus because you NEED A SUPERCHARGER OR TURBOCHARGED TAURUS for some odd reason then id say give up the idea of doing it. honestly i have seen 100 threads about this same topic. DMX and Malvin were the only guys to even attempt the supercharging project. DMX has seen alot of trouble and the Malvin guy is no longer even posting so im assuming his project took a s***. if you have a taurus and want to have a truly fast car, i apologize but you should do what i did and sell your taurus and purchase a faster vehicle. the cost of supercharging or turbocharging a taurus is not worth the hassle and the meager gains that are to be had. the taurus has one of the s***iest transmissions out there, so even if you somehow get alot of hp out of a taurus motor, like DMX has learned the transmission will hold you back. If you really need a fast taurus buy a sho. If you want a to go faster buy a different car. 99 out of 100 people who ask about supercharging or turbocharging their taurus will never do so and have no clue about what it would take to do so. Make a sticky thread about this stuff please.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOW i guess i will give up the supercharger idea and stop being a dreamer then! I am sry but i am quite new to this site and i havent seen any forms on it so i would see if ne one had ne ideas. But thanks for your help and ideas!!
!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't see why PnP, a mild cam, a chip, CAI, exhaust, etc. Can't wake things up in a Taurus any less than any other car. All can be done one at a time and each one saved up for a little at a time. I think the Taurus has more potential than what others seem to believe.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts